Shotgun Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Such a shame they don't make double barrels anymore. I'd buy one!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a 3200 with serial #291XX. Anyone know the manufacture date? '75ish best I can find.

30" Special Trap
F/F (I had Briley thread it and Shurley Bro.s fit it, love the gun).

Thanks

·
Registered
704 Posts
So my 3200 story is this. I was in one of the first groups that could take the Hunter's Safety Course. I think it was 1976 or 1977, well before it was required. After the class they took us to a Trap range for our field portion. They handed me what I'm guessing was an 870 Trap Special ( I remember the high comb) and 5 shells. I hit 4 and was elated! The old guys at the club told me to come back and shoot, and that all I'd need was 4 boxes of shells. For me that was a huge amount of money. We grew up POOOR. But they gave us a Remington Catalog for that year, and I just about wore it out.

The top gun was a 3200. I remember thinking, maybe someday I could save and get one. Fast forward to last fall when a buddy called and SN OU.20XXX came into his pawn shop and I acquired it. The gun has had all the upgrades done and is in very good shape. I truthfully don't think it was fired after the upgrades, as the face was completely unmarked. It's a skeet gun with 28" barrels, fits me great.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
pintailwizard,
Great story...I love it when a plan comes together!
Doug

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Dbl Auto,
If you are still visiting this page and thread, thank you for the 3200 update information!

After using this information I purchased a pair of 3200s which were well used but sound enough to warrant having Laib's do some work on them. As a result the refurbished Trap and Skeet are proving to be a nice pair of retro competition guns.

The Skeet gun is 28xxx, 2 pin receiver with factory updates. The Trap gun is 36xxx, also with factory updates and a 1 pin receiver.

Shoot Well
FS

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good information here. I picked up a 1978 3200 from an Uncle a few months back, when I moved and joined a trap league. Unknown anything about it other than it was one he used to shoot- and for $800 I thought it was worth the gamble. Since then have been learning. Recently had the issue of the lower barrel failure to fire/ light strikes. Before researching I ordered firing pins (it looked as though they were distorted- now I know it was the face peened over), when they came in I tore it all down for replacement. Turns out it is the breech face wear not the firing pins. I am in the process of reaming them out and adding a small chamfer to the face, I may or may not go further and add a hardened insert after this season is over. I will see how well this 'temp' fix lasts...

Nice to have found somewhere for information!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Looking for the approx current value of a 3200, Remington 3200 Competition Trap 12ga Shotgun, looks to be in nice shape, has been updated I was told, serial# OU .411xx

any ideas about What I should pay for a gun like this?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
rbdjr, my personal opinion is that I would only buy one if it were cheap, knowing it would go to Laib's for the complete redo. Some will say that they will last forever, which is not my experience. The redo is about $800 last I checked.
Doug

61 - 70 of 70 Posts