Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to say hello to everyone since this is my first post on this forum. I have heard very little about the Remington 332 & would like to hear some opinions about this gun. It is plain looking, but seems to be built good & it fits me pretty well. Anyway, I would like to hear the good, the bad, & the ugly about the 332. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
The only place I've seen them is at the counter in the gunshop.
I've held them and they seem to be a nice middle of the road O/U. Remington builds pretty good shotguns and this is built on the action I believe of the Remington Model 32 which was a fine gun.

I will note that the engraving (pressing) looked kind of hokey but that's just me. Checkering looked almost as cheesy.

G

·
It is built on a modern underlug action with the same line of the old 32. Saw a tricked out one belonging to a Remington rep. the other day. He has it set up for sporting clays. I think this is a good solid gun for the money in comparison with other guns of like price. I hear thru the grapevine a sporting model is down the road in about a year or so.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I't a nice replacement to the 3200. As you may or not know, the 3200 had a bad habbit of blowing up when you least expected. When I started shooting trap in the 60's, the 3200 was very popular on the field. I'm sure the metal is much better now, and I would like to own a 332. I have shot the new 332 on the trap field and like it as much as the 3200 of the past.
Rob.

·
Registered
20,546 Posts
Remington hasn't had a successful O/U since the model 32 which was many years ago. They keep introducing one model after another and a couple of years later replace it with something else. This doesn't inspire confidence in potential buyers of their O/U shotguns. Few people want to own a gun that is discontinued, very few made, parts in limited supply (if available at all), and few people have heard of it.

I've got nothing against Remington since I own several Remington shotguns, but I think I'd look elsewhere for an O/U if it were me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Someone else wrote the following in a previous message.

I recently purchased a 332 12 ga. 32" O&U and tried it out. The gun handled well and looked good. It shot as I expected it and the kick seemed acceptable (although I ham not a highly experienced O&U shooter). There is a big BUT, however:

After shooting less than 20 boxes, the second (upper) barrel failed to fire. The problem was that the gun did not always cock, which led to several embarrasing moments. I took it back to the dealer who replicated the problem and sent it back to Remington...who put it in their "normal" repair sequence and, when asked, told us to expect it back in 6-8 weeks! After several calls and e-mails by me and the dealer it was expedited and I got it back yesterday.

Guess what? The problem is still present, although not quite as obvious! The gun will eject the shells, but if you do not break the gun fully/almost forcibly, it will occasionally fail to cock the upper barrel. Looks like I will be turning it in for a repair or refund after hunting season....Dang It!
I suggest you either go with another brand or wait until all the bugs have been worked out. As a lifetime Remington user, this is difficult for me to say, but you need to know...And Remington needs to improve both their product and their customer service.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't get the ONYX. I just sold mine because it is a field gun. I thought it would be fine for trap doubles, and I was wrong. While the gun is well made, it is too light and the pitch is all wrong for doubles and the recoil for fifty birds is not fun. If all you are going to do is real shoot birds, this gun would be a joy to carry all day. Sad to say my wife bought the Onyx for my birthday, boy was she pissed when I traded it off!
Rob.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I purchased a Remington model 300 ideal 26" barrells about a month ago, I've put over 600 rounds shooting mostly trap and a few rounds of sporting clays and has performed flawlessly. Its a really nice gun and it fits me. It has beautiful walnut on it. Bryan

·
Registered
273 Posts
Rapid Rob - I think maybe you have the 3200 confused with something else. Your statement "When I started shooting trap in the 60's, the 3200 was very popular on the field." doesn't quite ring true. The 3200 wasn't introduced until the early 70's. Its predecessor and direct ancestor, the Model 32 (because it was introduced in 1932) became the Kreighoff K-32 when they bought the design. Now, while I've heard and read that the 3200's forearm frequently cracked, I have never heard about it "blowing up". The fact is (as I understand it) that the 32 and 3200 were the quintessential skeet guns with the 3200 broadening into trap and field versions. I'm not sure how true to the design lineage the 332 has stayed, but from the reviews I believe it does not fully live up to its heritage, and is, in fact, disappointing when compared to the 3200. Now of course there is the Peerless and the Ideal 300 that came in between the 3200 and 332. I've shot the Peerless and think its a fine entry level gun that can be had on the used market for the $800 range. But at that price, I'd rather have a field grade Winchester 101 (thats just me). I've handled the 300, and was not impressed. But I must tell you, the 3200 is on my list of collectable guns and I'm kicking myself for passing on some very fine examples on Guns America.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.