Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We found an old pump rifle...a Remington-UMC 44...still works...belonged to Grandfather. Looking for information on the gun using the serial number, etc. Remington site had no info...it does not show a model number...on barrel it has " 44 rem or 44 W.C.F." Any hints where I might find out date of manufacture, etc. Butt of gun has Remington-UMC on it...thanks for any leads.

·
Registered
558 Posts
44 rem or 44 W.C.F

I'm a little confused on what caliber it is. .44 W. C. F. is 44 Winchester Center (or Central) Fire, what we normally call a .44-40 now. I've never heard it called a 44 rem. I would dought it would be a .44 Rem. Mag. or even a .44 Smith and Wesson Special, maybe a 44 Russian? Do you have any cartridges for it? You may want to have it checked by a gunsmith but It's probably a .44-40.

·
Registered
11,204 Posts
Yeah, those 14s and 14 1/2 rifles were nice rifles in their day.

It's a .44-40. Funny, but MOST of the gun companies called them .44 (Co. Name) back then, probably so they could sell their own ammo.

This caused confusion though when the smokeless cartridges came out - the .30-30 (or .30 WCF) and .32 Spec. are rimmed cartridges, while the .30 and .32 Rem cartridges were very similar, but rimless cartridges. They were NOT interchangeable.

Older ammo catalogs had lists of interchangeable cartridges in them due to this practice.

BobK

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. I was able to confirm the gun is a Model 14 1/2 and still shootable and in good shape. It has been used, but not poorly cared for by Grandpa. He did take care of it....wife is ok to trade it for a 20 side by side or over under...something she can shoot doves with. If any traders out there, we can talk. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.