Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided on the Remington 870 Express in 12 gauge as my first shotgun. Should I go with a synthetic or wood stock?

I realize the wood stock on the Express isn't the best. Some sort of hardwood but not walnut. The wood looks more "traditional" while the synthetic looks more law enforcement style. Any advantage of one over the other??

I can get the wood stock for $219.99 plus tax from one store while the synthetic is on sale for $229.99 at another store.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I'd go with the synthetic, because I don't like the wood.

G

·
I bought a 870 synthetic that shoots the 3.5 mag shells ( i forget the proper name). I bought the gun to be my all around shotgun. I had shot the wood stock 870 with a 28" barrel before and it fit me great. However, I decided to get the synthetic to have less upkeep. I bought the synthetic with a 26' barrel and it does not fit me at all. I added a super thick recoil pad that helps give the gun more drop. However, I still cant enjoy shooting the @&^$! thing.

I would shoot both guns before you buy. They do not shoot the same. I would sell you my synthetic in a heartbeat to get rid of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd get the synthetic cause why in the heck do you want a wood with a pump, a pump is meant to be bashed and bruised.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Well, if it's an express magnum you're getting in order to shoot 3.5" shells, I guess I don't have an opinion, since I wouldn't want to shoot the 3.5" rounds anyway. All my 870 express (the 3" kind) have wooden stocks. Merely personal: I find I cannot develop a personal relationship with a shotgun (or rifle or revolver) that has a synthetic stock. If I have to carry a piece around all day, I want to at least like the gun I'm carrying. The wood does get dinged up a bit, but for me that's just added character. To each, however, his or her own :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.