Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I went to the local gun shop last night looking for a Remington 870 Express Syn. Black 12 Gauge Magnum. with a 26'' barrel. I called before hand and they said they had them. So I went in and here all they had was a 28 inch barreled ones.I asked if they knew when they were going to be getting more in... and he said no he didnt know. I was going to get the 28 incher last night but i didnt.I have some questions. I will be using this gun to hunt Deer,Turkey,Rabbit,Squirrel,Fox,Coyote,Crow,Ducks and Geese, and shooting black birds and pidgeons around the farm. Also alittle clay pidgeons.
Will a 28 inch barrel work for all of my hunting needs? Can I turkey hunt with a 28 inch barrel? I was looking for a 26 inch but once i decided i was going to goose hunt more this year I started thinking about getting the 28 inch. Please help me. I am going back into my gun dealer tonight... Do you guys think i should get the 28 inch?
Please Help,
I greatly appreciate it,
RemingtonBoy

·
Registered
448 Posts
I doubt that 2" will make or break anything. I use a 28" bbl on my Express and never had a real problem when hunting or clay birding. A slightly longer length may also aid your swing a wee bit. For deer, you'll likely want a shorter barrel for handling and moving through thick cover and for this the 20" deer barrel w/ sights is far more preferable than a single bead and the longer barrel.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
RemingtonBoy said:
Will a 28 inch barrel work for all of my hunting needs?
Only you can answer that one for sure.

RemingtonBoy said:
Can I turkey hunt with a 28 inch barrel?
Can't help there because I don't do any turkey hunting.

However; I use an 870 20g Ltwt for upland game and it has a 28" and I like it a lot.

I have an 870 Wingmaster LC 12g and it is a 28", I also use this one for sporting clays when I want to use a pump for that game, I like this 28" too.

My only 26" 870 is a 1980 870SA Skeet but the fixed choke skeet barrels back then were heavy and this gun is heavier than the new Wingmaster. You might want to watch barrel weight because I believe the Express barrels may be heavier than the 870 Wingmaster LC's.

I use both an 870TB, 870TC and an 1100 Classic Trap for trap so I don't use the 28" guns for trap and would prefer not to. However, a lot of new an casual shooters at our club enjoy their 28" field guns on the trap range.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone for the quick help.. I am getting ready to go get it here within the next hour ill be at the gun dealer. Ill post back and let you know about the gun... Thanks... I greatly appreciate it

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to the dealer last night looking for the Syn. Black 28'' and I found it... or at least i thought i did... The tag said 12 Gauge but the guy picked it up and the barrel said 16 Gauge. So... I was looking at the wooden stocked ones in 28 inch. I really liked the feal of them... They had Combos there for 329.99 for the 28 inch with the imp. Cyl. 20 Inch Deer Barrel and they had a 26'' with a 20 inch Fully Rifled barrel for 349.99. the guy went back and got the box with the 26 inch combo with fully rifled barrel i knew what i was getting... I was happy because i had wanted a 26 inch all along...Just in syn. Black not wood... But wood works . So I am the happy new owner of a Remington 870 Express Magnum 26 inch barrel and a 20 inch deer barrel fully rifled. I brought it home last night, and read the owners manuel and made sure that everything that was supposed to be in the box was there. However I was planning on shooting it today... But.. I only have 7 12 Gauge Shells. So.. I am going to see if i can go get some more at wally world for $15 a case of 7 1/2s oughta do it. Then if I do go to town. Ill be over at the barn shooting pidgeons... I post back after i shoot it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts