Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,

I have two questions regarding my shotgun this time. I was wondering what slug you would recommend for shooting in my gun. I believe it has a 18" fixed Cylinder choke barrel but I will have to check the box when I get home. I know that I would need rifled slugs but would it be better to just get a slug gun/rifled barrel or smooth barrel (no choke) for my gun (if so do you have any suggestions). I don't want the risk of damaging or wearing my barrel that I have now. What would you all recommend? Also I have some steel #4, 00 and 000 magnum 3" buckshot loads and have shot the #4 loads through my choke, are these going to hurt anything considering they are steel. Thank you for your comments in advance.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
"Cylinder" is not a choke. It's the absence of any choke.
In other words a straight cylinder bore has no restriction built into the barrel.
Improved cylinder is a few thousands of an inch in restriction or 'choke'.
Perhaps you have an improved cylinder choke?????
I've never run across any steel buckshot ever.
There are buckshot lead loads in #4, 00 and 000 as well as many others.
Perhaps you shot some #4 steel shot not #4 buckshot?
#4 buckshot is about .24 caliber and is made of lead unless some outfit is marketing steel #4 buck and I have never come across any???
Both steel and lead #4 shot are .130" diameter, #4 buck is .24" diameter. Quite a difference.
Do you have sights on your gun or just the bead on the end of the barrel?
You will likely NOT hurt your barrel shooting factory steel or lead loads.
For slugs I'd recommend you try the Brenneke K.O.
If you don't have sights on the gun then it won't make much never mind what slug you shoot as long as they are NOT sabot slugs intended for rifled barrels only.
Any of the soft lead fosters will work in your Remington.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I just got home a checked the label I cut off the box the shotgun came in and it says 18" BBL. 12 GA. CYL BORE. I now understand why when I looked down the bore I didn't see a choke. When I bought this shotgun a few years ago I actually asked on this site about the sabot slugs in my gun and you were one of the people who told me not to use them in my gun. I also did not know that some shotguns don't have choke tubes, but if I would have checked the label I would have seen BORE not choke. OOPS :oops: I also looked at my ammo and the #4 3" Steel Shot I have is made my Winchester and is the Super X. The #1 Buck says unplated shot also Winchester Super X, the 00 buck I have says unplated shot and it is Winchester Super X, the 000 Buck I have says copperplated lead shot it is Winchester Supreme. I guess I just assumed they were all steel. Now I know that they are lead. :oops: But I am glad that it can all be used in my gun. I have a bead front sight on my barrel so it would not be a good slug gun but I just wanted to shoot a few down range not for hunting purposes. Thank you for your reply now I know more about my gun. :shock:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Kaz:
Glad you learned more about your shottie.
If you take careful aim with that bead sight and learn to place the bead over the receiver in the same spot you might be surprised how well you can hit a target at 25 yards or so.
I'm retired SWAT and we learned to shoot the 870 Police Riot gun, which is essentially what you have, surpisingly well at 25 yards using the regular foster (rifled) slug.
The buckshot and slug make a fearsome h.d. load.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am really going to have to give that a try. But here is a pic of my ******

and my foot and cat. :roll:
I also wanted to ask what is a H.D load. And I was still wondering what is the best barrel possible for a rifled shotgun slug. I know that mine can handle them fine but is there something that will handle them better or is mine the best because as you said it has no choke and is a straight shot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgot to add I am thinking of adding a Knoxx Spec Ops Stock, Surefire flashlight foreend and a shell carrier from knoxx on this gun. So I am going to make it as tactical as possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.