Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several questions regarding my 870 Express.
First, does an "M" at the end of the serial number mean that it accepts 3" inch shells?
Second, oftentimes when I fire the weapon the action opens most of the way on its own. This is frustrating and I suspect it could be dangerous. I just finish ejecting the shell, and jack another into the chamber, but I would like to know if this problem has an easy "fix"?
Third, more looking for opinion here I guess. I have had terrible luck patterning slugs with this gun. I am using rifled sights and an open choke barrel. I will get two slugs within 4 inches and the 3rd (or 4th, 5th, 6th, etc.) will be off the target by 12" or more. I have purchased a rifled choke for my 26" barrel, and I plan to put on a B-square scope mount and scope. Is this going to improve my grouping? Should I have saved my money and bought an Ithaca Deerslayer instead?
Thanks for reading the long post.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
(1) yes the M signals a 3 inch mag reciever.

(2) actually, this is built into the gun, the mossberg site explains it best " Pump actions will do that. It prevents the action from locking up and helps for a faster follow-up shot. The shooter should control the forearm forward to reduce unnecessary wear and recoil on the action."
(3) what distance are you shooting at? Are you using Rifled slugs (correct for a smoothbore ) or sabots (for use in a rifled barrel )? Are you sure you aren't flinching?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. I site in at 50 yards. I thought that I may be flinching as well. I had my father site in and it shot the same for him. I had him watch me as I shot, and he saw no flinch, so I believe it is the gun. I shoot rifled slugs, no sabots. It is interesting that the gun is supposed to have the action open partially after shooting. I have tried to keep the forearm from moving unsuccessfully. I will keep trying. Thanks again. Any other input from others would be appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
take the barrel off and look at the barrel extension closely and see if the lock up surface is swaged at all. I'm not sure that the gun should unlock all on it's own. As far as accuracy goes, remember that you're shooting rifled slugs out a barrel with a wall thickness quite a bit thinner than that of a rifle. I'm not very familar with shooting slugs, but the barrel might be heating up; but what the hell do I know? And yes, an Ithaca Deerslayer would've been a very good alternative to the 870 Express. For one it's got heavier barrel and plus it's free-floating.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been using my 870 express to hunt deer for many years. What I would suggest is try a variety of different slugs. I have killed many deer with this gun in past years but the last two have been really bad so possibly the more you shoot them the worse it gets. (I just use the regular barrel with Imp Cyn in it).

Generally it is kind of a rule that I will shot more than any other person in the party and the deer will just stand and look at me while I reload (no kidding... shot at one dear at 60 yards 8 times before he walked away).

Anyway, I also have tried and tried to pattern this gun and have had no luck what so ever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts