Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

My friend recently bought an 870 wingmaster and went to shoot with it. He likes to shoot a full choke and ran some 3 inch mag Steel BB loads through it. I thought that it was not advised to shoot steel through a full choke?. For future reference, how many would you have to shoot before the barrel would start to bulge or something of the sort? I wouldn't think that there would be any permanent damage so quickly. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Maybe one, maybe never. It is his gun let him do as he wishes with it. Let us know when something comes apart. Buy him some Hevishot Dead Coyote or other large size hard shot to help him along his path. :wink:

·
Registered
14,751 Posts
I don't know about Dead Coyote loads, but Remington does make a Full RemChoke tube that is rated for steel, and I think they are the only ones that do. I wouldn't advise it in one of the old fixed choke barrels. I know there are people who say they do it with no problems, and I also know I have seen barrels with that telltale ring.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Have him shove some steel #BBs through that full choked Remington barrel and see if that telltale crack develops!

Seriously, I would not shoot steel or any hard shot through a true full choked gun. Have your friend call Remington and ask for advice. Most companies offer a "full" choke designed for steel. Browning marks it"s chokes as "Full/Steel - Modified/Lead" or some such designation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.