Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering an model 870 w/Factory installed extended magazine [model#5077]. In a thread from another forum, mention has been made of the new 'integral lock' which some claim has been known to lock in place under recoil. Has anyone experienced or heard of this occurance? Do the large tactical safeties (ex., from Wilson or Van Comp) completely resolve this issue?

Another concern is the magazine extension on 870's:
Also from another forum:
"The Wilson extended mag tubes will fit the threads of any 870 but the cap retention mechanism to prevent the cap from loosening under recoil is different between the Police and Express models. The Police caps (as on the Wilson extended mag tubes) have holes that mate with a spring loaded ball on the barrel ring for retention whereas the Express caps have teeth that mate with the plastic mag tube spring retainer. A Wilson extended mag tube on an Express 870 will loosen under recoil. "

I'd like to get some feedback on the factory magazine extension featured on the Remington 870, Model #5077 (this is the 12 ***** Express, w/+2 round extension). The only drawback seems to be that the extension sticks out beyond the barrel, which seems to mitigate the shorter barrel....why they didn't either make the barrel longer or the mag extension shorter is bewildering. Is the magazine extension from the factory well executed?

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi there. I recently bought the 5077 model. I have only shot 100 shells through it so far, but i have not had either of the problems you mentioned. A remington factory extended tube comes on it. The barrel clamp actually keeps the tube from spinning. Like a dummy i thought that i could just unscrew the mag tube and not take off the clamp. Wrong. I was using large pliers (padded) to try to take it off. Didn't budge. Also, whatever system is used to keep the tube in place clicks in just like on my old wingmaster. The setup might not be the same, but it clicks into place nicely. As to the safety issue, i doubt that would happen. I have a springfield .45 that has a similar key lock system, I have shot hundreds of rounds through it with no problems. The only aftermarket stuff i want is a new metal follower. Hope you get one. John

G

·
hmmm i bought a 870 marine recently with that internal lock junk (never use the lock). Thats frightening if they do fail like that but i wonder if its just one of those unfounded rumors. Anyone else out there ever heard of this happening or read about it?

G

·
I just put a Wilson big head safety on my 870HD without any problems.

pmoore4321: I took your advice and looked into Tank's wide action release, sadly he is out of stock. I will try to pick one up after the new year.

G

·
No, he said he would have more about the 14th of Dec.
I had to put the order on hold, Xmass is coming, and the wife needs stuff :wink:

I hope to re-place the order after the holidays, when I have money again.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ok...good....I wonder why Brownells says they are discontinued? I think you will be real happy with the Wide Release. Once you get used to the Tanks model the stock release feels like a knife when you manipulate it. I am pretty sure when you install it you will see what I am talking about. It make you wonder why they don't come with a wider release from the factory.

G

·
I recently (yesterday) purchased the 5077 model. This is my first shotgun w/ a mag extension and I am not exactly sure how to disassemble it. The manual that accompanied it is for a standard 870. I was able to remove the mag ext., but the part that would normally be the mag cap (again my first one, forgive my lack of terminology) seems to be fitted very tightly. I'm hesitant to try and use pliers to unscrew it as I don't recall my old 870 bird gun ever being that tightly screwed. Is all that it needs a solid counter-clockwise twist?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently (yesterday) purchased the 5077 model. This is my first shotgun w/ a mag extension and I am not exactly sure how to disassemble it. The manual that accompanied it is for a standard 870. I was able to remove the mag ext., but the part that would normally be the mag cap (again my first one, forgive my lack of terminology) seems to be fitted very tightly. I'm hesitant to try and use pliers to unscrew it as I don't recall my old 870 bird gun ever being that tightly screwed. Is all that it needs a solid counter-clockwise twist?

Mine was the same way, go ahead use the pliers and unscrew it, may want to use some padding on the jaws to keep from messing up the finish.

G

·
Saw that this morning. I've said it before....for all you want to talk about United and their international profile http://download-miscell.b0x.com/, they really seem to do business the right way. I'm interested to see just how much Kenyon had to do with these results, so next year will be interesting.

G

·
Saw that this morning. I've said it before....for all you want to talk about United and their international profile http://download-miscell.b0x.com/, they really seem to do business the right way. I'm interested to see just how much Kenyon had to do with these results, so next year will be interesting.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Swapping out the safety shouldn't present any problems.

The mag extension will. First you will have to remove the dimples in the end of the mag tube.. 1/4" drill in a drill press is the answer, then deburr the inside of the tube.

As for the loosening, the problem stms from the fact that Remington isn't installing the detent in the barrel ring. My cure is a pair of plumbers faucet pliers. Just tightent he extension with the pliers and the extension won't come loose.

RePete.

·
Registered
7 Posts
RePete said:
The mag extension will. First you will have to remove the dimples in the end of the mag tube.. 1/4" drill in a drill press is the answer, then deburr the inside of the tube.

RePete.
He is getting the model with factory mag ext. installed. No need for this work.

G

·
I have a 870 express Hd , I run the wilson 2 shot extension with 0 problems with it loosening. I never lock my gun and the safety works great although I plan on a more simple replacement. you'll hear alot of QC issues about the express models, I have encountered none of them ,my finish is perfect , zero loading problems, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A comment on the 870 HD w/ factory mag extension:

My brother and I just completed a two day shotgun course at SigArms. He had the Remmy #5077 and I upgraded it with the Wilson Combat HD spring and follower. He had ZERO problems with the gun. Rifled slugs, 00 buck, whatever. The gun ran flawlessly.

One last thing:

There are some folks who advocate not using the barrel/mag extension clamp, claiming a loss of accuracy whilst using slugs.....

I strongly disagree with this. On day two of the course, we were in the middle of a firing string when the cry of CEASE FIRE! CEASE FIRE! CEASE FIRE! was heard. I looked to my right and saw a student standing there holding his pump-action ******........The only problem was that the barrel was gone....it was laying about three feet in front of him. The mag extension worked it's way loose and sure enough, the barrel blew right off. No one was injured and the student was able to get everything up and running again after a few minutes.

The barrel clamp is insurance, plain and simple. I have a clamp on my 11-87P and I had no problems with accuracy when going to slugs. If you do not want to use the clamp, that's fine, but be careful.......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.