Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I'm looking for a shotgun that will last me until I'm dead, and will happily take any abuse that happens to come to it along the way. From the field to the boat to the gun cabinet next to my bed. I don't want any problems finding parts or ammo or anything. Basically, I'm looking for extreme versatility, one gun and a set of barrels that will do it all. It looks like this is the weapon I'm looking for, but there seems to be precious little written about it. Does anyone have any comments?

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's certainly a good candidate for what you're looking for, especially since you mention "...to the boat...".
Just keep in mind that a shotgun is a mechanical device (duh) and that any mechanical device will eventually fail in some way if exposed to constant abuse or neglect.
You probably don't see much about the Marine Magnum because other than the finish on the metal and some parts, it's just your average 870. And an 870 is an 870 is an 870.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have one. Ours is used for home defense. It seems to have a lot slicker action than any other 870's I have handled. It is very well regulated with both slugs and buck. I would not hesitate to recommend the Marine Magnum, especially if you will use it in a marine environment or if you live near to the ocean like I do.

·
Registered
285 Posts
That really is an unfair question. Lets try to put it in prospective. Tell me the answer to the following:

What kind of 'all around' vehicle should I buy--I want it to act like a:

pick up
SUV
Honda Civic economy car
Hummer2
Porsche 911 Turbo
and cost no more than a Kia!!!!!

When you find the shotgun that fills the bill--let me know and we will make big, big bucks!

There is a real REASON there are so many different kinds of both CARS and SHOTGUNS.

Good luck and drop a note when you find it.

·
Registered
985 Posts
WOW I never knew life and shotgunning was so complicated. I've just been learning how to shoot what I liked and having fun using my favorite gun for everything.
I guess I've been going about it all wrong. My gun is fun to shoot and I know it well, but it isn't made for clays, birds, defence, or rabbits. I better sell it and by 6 new guns so I can keep enjoying all the shooting sports I do.

COME ON!!!
Find a gun you like, learn it, use it HAVE FUN while your at it.
Shooting is 95% you, and 5% your equipment. The gun is only one piece of the equipment.
I have 2 shotguns that I use regularly. A stevens pump and a Saiga 12 (AK-47 12ga). I got the stevens when I was 12. For years it was the gun I used for EVERYTHING. Clays, birds, deer, tac, everything. I recently bought the Saiga because it looked like fun. And it is! I have used it for sporting, 5 stand and my weekly trap. I can't wait for bird season to use it some more. I plan to run some slugs in it for deer season too. Why? Because I like the gun.
If you like the gun, get it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm not sure that Ted's question was as complicated, far-ranging, or contradictory as some people seem to think. Not to put any words into his mouth, but here's how I interpreted it:

Basically I'm looking for a shotgun that will last me until I'm dead, and will happily take any abuse that happens to come to it along the way. From the field to the boat to the gun cabinet next to my bed.
I want a shotgun that's known for robust construction and reliability under less-than-ideal conditions.

I don't want any problems finding parts or ammo or anything.
I want a shotgun that has good parts availability.

Basically, I'm looking for extreme versatility, one gun and a set of barrels that will do it all.
I want a shotgun that can take a wide variety of replacement barrels so that I can "do it all".

Yeah, I think he posed the question a bit on the bombastic side and my first reaction was, "Would you like a cupholder on it too?" But after doing a little reading between the lines, it wasn't that outlandish of a post.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I took it that way too...

He wants an 870!!!

(realistically...Mossberg makes an electroless nickle model, Winchester has one with the electroless nickle barrel and Benelli has a Nova available with the electroless nickle barrel)

I might suggest the Benelli Nova Tactical because of the plastic for marine use...hmmmm...what do you all think???

Bill

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ted said:
Basically I'm looking for a shotgun that will last me until I'm dead, and will happily take any abuse that happens to come to it along the way. From the field to the boat to the gun cabinet next to my bed. I don't want any problems finding parts or ammo or anything. Basically, I'm looking for extreme versatility, one gun and a set of barrels that will do it all. It looks like this is the weapon I'm looking for, but there seems to be precious little written about it. Does anyone have any comments?
You are right on with your own conclusion. The 870 MM is exactly everything that you have described.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JMCCOYB said:
That really is an unfair question. Lets try to put it in prospective. Tell me the answer to the following:

What kind of 'all around' vehicle should I buy--I want it to act like a:

pick up
SUV
Honda Civic economy car
Hummer2
Porsche 911 Turbo
and cost no more than a Kia!!!!!

When you find the shotgun that fills the bill--let me know and we will make big, big bucks!

There is a real REASON there are so many different kinds of both CARS and SHOTGUNS.

Good luck and drop a note when you find it.
Hey ding-dong, what are you talking about? Remington ALREADY figured it out, that's why it's one of the best selling shotguns in the world.

Please name a use that cannot be filled by an 870. There are so many barrel/stock combo's the only thing you can't do is a concealed carry, and I'm sure somebody will refute me on that. If you want to do all those things, the 870 is THE gun. The marine magnum edition just makes it one step MORE versatile, not any less.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts