Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the Remington 870 Super Mag Express. This was the first gun that I purchased, and it truly has been a fantastic workhorse. I just purchased a gold trigger for it, and was wondering if the the all weather (matte) finish can be redone into a "blued" finish by a gunsmith. Additionally, I plan to replace the wood with an upgraded "wingmaster" stock and forearm. Any other ideas to "reward" my reminton for all of it's dedicated service.

P.S. - Are there any types of wingmaster stock/forearm sets that are not compatable with this gun?

Thanks!

Ed

·
Premium Member
19,861 Posts
I wouldn't sink any additional money into a Remington Express. I can understand how you feel about your first shotgun, but you shouldn't let your emotional attachment override the financial considerations. You'll spend a heck of a lot of money trying to make the Express into something it isn't. Leave the Express alone and buy a Wingmaster if that's what you want. No offense intended with my comments. Just trying to give some (hopefully good) advice.

G

·
Well the 870 Express Magnum is a great gun, but it isn't made for looks. It is a pump that is meant to have scratches on it and go in all kinds of conditions. So I probably wouldn't do anything else with my 870 Express Magnum, I would leave it how it is. Get a wingmaster they look really nice if you are looking into good look guns. But a pump in my opinion isn't sposed to be a real nice one. I think of a pump to take a lot of scratches and can withstand any conditions.

·
Registered
48 Posts
AvidShooter said:
I've got the Remington 870 Super Mag Express. This was the first gun that I purchased, and it truly has been a fantastic workhorse. I just purchased a gold trigger for it, and was wondering if the the all weather (matte) finish can be redone into a "blued" finish by a gunsmith. Additionally, I plan to replace the wood with an upgraded "wingmaster" stock and forearm. Any other ideas to "reward" my reminton for all of it's dedicated service.

P.S. - Are there any types of wingmaster stock/forearm sets that are not compatable with this gun?

Thanks!

Ed
The matte finish is actually blued. Remington cuts corners on the Express by not finishing (smoothing) the metal first. It is actually blasted metal that is blued. In order to get that gun glassy smooth, you will spend a bunch of bucks to have it polished.
If you wish to "reward" your Express, send it to ARS or some such company for a high-tech coating like METACOL III.
Take the gun to a smith and have a trigger job or action job or both done.
You can also buy some used wood and refinish it yourself. This is quite satisfying to do and does not cost much (the wood part).
If you want a real pretty gun, buy a Wingmaster.
Good luck,
Mike

G

·
Great gun in the 870 express, though if you own the wood stock and feel that the colour or finish isn't that great, do as 9mm mike says and refinish it yourself, I did to mine and it looks a heck of a lot better. You can also pick up replacement synthetic stocks inexpensively. (look on e-bay)
Maybe buy a rifled slug barrel to add another dimension to shotgunning, haven't tried one but hear ther'e fun.

·
Registered
58 Posts
you will spend a bunch of bucks to have it polished.

Don't polish a barrel on a 870 express magnum the barrel is at the minimum safe thickness and if u wear it down it could break when you shoot it. That's quoted from the book under safety not word for word though. Its in the safety section if you want to look at it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts