Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a budget of $350 and can not decide on Remingto 870 express or SPR453. can somebody help me decide? any advice would be great. thanks

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Welcome! One quick question:
What are you going to shoot with it?

BT

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
For 350, I would be looking for a good used Wingmaster instead of the express model.

Gunsamerica.com or gunbroker.com are good sources for used shotguns.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Both guns are very reliable. I own both and both fit nearly the same. It depends on what you are using it for but for most applications both will do just fine. I prefer a semi so I shoot the spr453 the most. The spr453 is also the simplest of the two to break down in the field if you have a problem. Maybe this will put your mind at ease about the spr453....

·
Registered
450 Posts
All I know is if you are paying that much for an 870 express you are getting ripped off. It had better be the combo model with the rifled barrel with it.

Really depends on what you want. Do you want an American made pump gun or a semi auto made over seas that cost as much a decent pump gun.

Paul

·
Registered
71 Posts
SPR 453 any day. I own one and I shoot one, hands down the best semi auto under $1000. Do your research on here, there are quite a few people that do agree with me, there are stories of guys trading in there beretta's and benelli's for this gun. Mainly because of the price and durability. People ask themselves is it worth it to a $1400 shotgun that never leaves the gun cabinet? Now trust me benelli's and beretta's have earned their reputation, I just didn't want to spend that kind of money for the amount of time I use it. I also knew that if I would scratch it, I would have a cow if I did that to a $1400 dollar gun compared to one that cost $380. I am sorry for the rant, I have a lot of friends with the 870 actually about 5 of them (3 expresses 1 super mag and 1 wingmaster) and I do think its a good gun it just comes down to semi-auto vs pump. I also would shoot a 453 first before you let peoples judgement of the gun sway your decision. The SPR 453 kicks way less the any pump and thats because of the gas system, the guy in the video had bad form and he was not shooting target loads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am mostly shootin skeet. I have never actually seen a spr453 in person, only on the internet so, I know jack squat about it. I know a 870 is only around $270. (great $ for a reliable gun) But should I put a little more $ for a semi. Maybe a little more than that and even go with 1187?? Thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have both an 870 and a Baikal MP153 as does one of my best hunting buddies. Both are great guns but when I go hunting these days there is no question I'd take the MP153 over the 870. Same goes for my buddy.

If you want to take advice take some from someone that owns both and is not as biased as someone that owns one and has never even seen the other one in person.

But I also have a SBE II that is my real go to gun...but don't think I don't hunt a lot with my MP153. Four waterfowl hunts this year and I've hunted with both guns twice...left the 870 at home both times.

Oh and as far as the gun being reliable...I've taken that MP153 on some of the nastiest duck hunts and it's only had one jam in all that time and Ithink it was because I was shooting a reload that didnt have enough powder charge in it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
rdc5 said:
I am mostly shootin skeet. I have never actually seen a spr453 in person, only on the internet so, I know jack squat about it. I know a 870 is only around $270. (great $ for a reliable gun) But should I put a little more $ for a semi. Maybe a little more than that and even go with 1187?? Thanks for all the info!
For my money I'd rather have the spr453 over the 1187.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I bought my 870 Wingmaster new in 1984. IMO probably the best pump shotgun ever produced, over 9 million made & still in production. It has never failed in any way. As some have suggested I would look at Auctionarms,Gunbroker or Gunsamerica for a good used Wingmaster. I also own a Ithaca Model 37 & a Savage Model 77H. Two other very good pump shotguns.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Marcstar said:
rdc5 said:
It is known that Remington executives are quietly agreeing that the SPR-453 they are importing is a better gun than their local produced 1187.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Tozman said:
Marcstar said:
rdc5 said:
It is known that Remington executives are quietly agreeing that the SPR-453 they are importing is a better gun than their local produced 1187.
That's very interesting, indeed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts