Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a hold of a NIB Remington 870 Police Magnum. It has a 20" fixed improved cylinder police barrel.

1. I assume 7 steel shot loads for clays are completely safe through that barrel. Is my assumption correct?

2. How about the standard 1 oz. slugs?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yes, you can shoot just about anything out of it, up to and probably including gravel.

·
Registered
421 Posts
jmaq--

Really nice, congrats on your new gun. Have fun with it and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took her to the trap range the other day.

Each round is 25 clays. For the first and second round I stuck my brothers 28" barrel on the POLICE.

Round 1 I nabbed 21 clays, Round 2 I nabbed 22 clays.

So I though I would try the 20" POLICE barrel. WOW, Round 3 I nabbed 9 clays and Round 4 I hit 10. This barrel is going to take some getting used to.

I thought it would be cake with a 20",guess not. It was a 16 yard trap. I was a bit disappointed.

I noticed that if I aimed low it hit better.

Any suggestions, comments or anything. Is a 20" barrel good on the trap range with practice?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Lotsa blast for trap. I'd pick up a second barrel. That one was not designed for trap and a tighter choke would certainly help. For deer or home defense though, it can't be beat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yeah, just how snug should I get the mag cap (holds on the barrel)? I have been hand tightening it pretty darn snug.

Any more comments on my recent questions would be great as well.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
jmaq said:
Oh yeah, just how snug should I get the mag cap (holds on the barrel)? I have been hand tightening it pretty darn snug.

Any more comments on my recent questions would be great as well.
Just finger tight, no need to crank it down hard. :)
Remington pump/auto shotguns all (I've seen) have a little gizmo to keep the nut from backing off anyway.
Main thing is to get the barrel seated all the way into the receiver before you tighten up the nut. :wink:
Nice gun! :)

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I've shot some home defense length barrels at 16 yd trap and one 26 incher with a fixed IC constriction with only slightly better results.

the key is to get on the birds as quick as possible. the spread is too much to get many kills over any distance. since the bird flys at a shallow angle like a frisbee, it takes more than one glancing blow to bust it..or even to get decent chips off of it.

my best with an 18" mod choke was 15 (hard to aim that short of a bbl) and I got 17 or 18 with the 26" IC bbl.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.