Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend at work has a Remington 870, 3 1/2 inch magnum shotgun and it's shooting low. He says that it's shooting real low, about 12 inches at 35 yards. So what's the best way to correct this? How does Remington set these guns up from the factory? Do they test fire them and if they are shooting low or high, how do they adjust them? I'm not real knowledgeable on shotguns, unless it's tactical shotguns, I was just trying to help a friend out. Thanks for any info or suggestions you guys can provide! I am planning to loan him a set of Tru-glos to test out with his gun. He may just buy a pair if he likes mine. But he and I both were still interested how this problem was taken care of. Thanks again! AKATTACK

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
How did he find out if the gun is shooting low? Did he shoot it from the bench as a rifle, or did he just shoot it from the shoulder?

The answer to that is very important. Why? Because the height of the eye above or below the rib of the gun will make the gun shoot high or low, even if the gun is properly regulated.

If the eye is 1/16" below the line of sight of the rib, the gun will shoot low by 1" at 16 yards. At 35 yards, it will shoot a little over 2" low.

That little bit of geometry explains why gun fit is important. Ask your buddy to shoulder the gun and put his face hard on the stock with his eyes closed. Then ask him to open his eyes and describe what he sees. If he's seeing the back end of the receiver, instead of straight down the rib, that will explain the gun shooting low.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have seen turkey choke tubes machined a bit off center.Try a different choke tube and see if the problem goes away.The factory does not test for accuracy.If it is the tube e-mail remington,they will stand behind it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He told me that he's got two choke tubes for the gun and that he's tried them both and it still shoots low. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll pass it on to him. Might see if I can get him to check the guns sight alignment 'from the bench'. AKATTACK

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
The only way to know where the gun is shooting is to put it on paper from a bench and then make adjustments.

My first guess would be that this gun probably shoots dead on and on paper it's 50/50. If the shooter thinks it shoots a foot low.... and again, this is a guess....it's because he's shooting trap targets and shooting under them, which is what you do with field guns when shooting a rising target.

If the gun is really shooting a foot low....and that's a whole bunch... a new barrel and/or stock might be needed. My guess would be that the gun does not really shoot that low and some sort of adjustable comb would fix the problem.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Remington has had problems with choke concentricity in the past, don't know if they still do. Take the barrel off the gun and look into the muzzle end. You'll be able to see a small ridge or ring where the choke meets the bore. If the ring appears to be the same thickness all the way around, the choke's OK; if it's off you'll be able to see that too, it will appear much thinner on one side than the other. As far as I know, Remington has always given a new barrel to those who have this problem. You'll probably have to work through your gun shop or gunsmith though, I doubt they'll send you a barrel just on your say-so.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
McKie said:
Remington has had problems with choke concentricity in the past, don't know if they still do.
It is a sample of one but the 1100CT I just picked up yesterday is date stamped Sept, 2005 and it shoots 60/40 patterns (the way I like a trap gun to) that are absolutely dead on for windage.

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
McKie said:
You'll probably have to work through your gun shop or gunsmith though, I doubt they'll send you a barrel just on your say-so.
If the choke tube appears to be off center, Remington will want to look at the barrel to confirm. In that case it is not necessary to waste time and/or money going through a gunsmith. Call Remington customer service and explain the issue. Pack the barrel up, mail it to Remington's address (they will tell you which), and Rem will either return the barrel to you if they say it meets their specs for concentricity or they will send you a new one if it doesn't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.