Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Read Only
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i just need opinions on if this is rust or not on my 870 tactical heres a pic

Furniture Purple Cylinder Gas Rim

·
Read Only
0 Posts
It appears to be a blemish in the finish, but it’s hard to give a definitive answer based on a picture. Have you tried anything to remove it?

·
Read Only
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears to be a blemish in the finish, but it’s hard to give a definitive answer based on a picture. Have you tried anything to remove it?
Yeah doesn’t come off its silver im assuming its a scratch or something it has a smooth surface like the rest of the gun

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
If you really want to know if rust or not, degrease and dry. Get area bone dry. Rust bloom should show.

If it's rust, hold the spot over a teapot and steam for 10 minutes then brush off with clean nylon/brass brush or degreased 0000 steel wool to remove loose oxide. Brush, don't scrub. Repeat until all oxide has been converted to bluing. Apply non-detergent oil to area and let set for a day. Avoid using gun oil as it has rust inhibitors and may attack your new rust bluing.

Or do nothing and keep the spot oiled.

Or you can do something like How to Remove Rust from A Gun

·
Read Only
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you really want to know if rust or not, degrease and dry. Get area bone dry. Rust bloom should show.

If it's rust, hold the spot over a teapot and steam for 10 minutes then brush off with clean nylon/brass brush or degreased 0000 steel wool to remove loose oxide. Brush, don't scrub. Repeat until all oxide has been converted to bluing. Apply non-detergent oil to area and let set for a day. Avoid using gun oil as it has rust inhibitors and may attack your new rust bluing.

Or do nothing and keep the spot oiled.

Or you can do something like How to Remove Rust from A Gun
Gotcha i live in a humid area when i took it out shooting when i did not really oil the gun the spots did not rust up im assuming its just the finish wear

1 - 8 of 8 Posts