Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I wanted a dedicated trap gun and after considerable research and consideration of my budget, I selected a Remington 870 Wingmaster TA. I am just a causal Trap shooter but wanted a gun that I can use specifically for Trap.

It was a GB purchase so all I am working on is the photo's until it arrives.

Here is what I know:

30 inch barrel, Full.

Serial number ends in a "V".

It shows wear from use: Magazine tube from action.

It has porting in the form of seven uniform holes drilled in the barrel. 7 on each side. 14 total. Is this stock or was it added later?

Is there anything that I should look for during my first "hands on" inspection?

I am familiar with disassembly of 870's so I can conduct a good inspection.

Any advice on what I should be looking for will be appreciated.

Bill

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
What letter does the serial number start with? I don't believe they have built a Trap A in a good while, but that doesn't matter. The porting is not factory. Depending on the barrel, rib, and stock it may shoot rather flat for a trap gun, or it may not. It should kill trap targets as well as any shotgun ever made.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Virginian,

I just called Remington and they tell me it was manufactured in 1984 as a TA. I did not think that the porting was factory but I wanted to check with those that know more than me. I would have preferred that it was not but I think I will be able to live with it. I got my UPS shipping number so I should be able to put my hands on it in 4-5 days. I want to do a good close inspection when it arrives and was looking for some information about key components that suffer from wear. From the pictures, it has been shot. From my experience with 870's, they are solid but I am willing to replace a part or two if needed. This gun is coming from the East coast but I hope to see it spend they new few decades in sunny AZ.

Bill

·
Registered
835 Posts
If the gun was mainly used for trap then the only thing that might need attention would be the extractor. I use these in my 870-1100 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/518215 ... n-870-1100. I've shot a lot of skeet, trap, SC with my 870 TC and one time I had to replace the action bar, broke where the bolt seats. Parts are cheap if you ever need them but the 870 is very tough IMO

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
An 870 TA is a great no frills trap gun and I hope yours works out well for you. I believe that the first 100 straight in doubles was shot with an 870 which says everything about what can be done with one.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 870 is in the back of a UPS truck motoring her from PA.

Rack-N-Roy, Thanks for the extractor tip. I will most likely take a careful look at the condition of the extractor. Seems like a good improvement from original equipment. I will closely inspect the action bars. I know that the 870 is a solid platform that can handle lots of use. I am excited to get out and get the feel for it. Got to love a WingMaster!

Bill

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
There is no "improvement" extractor beyond a Remington factory forged one available, period in my opinion. That Volquartsen one is advertised as being A2 Tool Steel, and stainless - quite a neat trick. If the extractor is "worn", the whole gun should be loose and slick as a whistle. The 1100 would occasionally break an extractor, hence the change on the 11-87, but I have never seen a forged one break on an 870.

·
Registered
835 Posts
IMO Volquartsen is the best extractor you can put in your 870/1100 and there are many trap/trap doubles, skeet shooters who have the same opinion. There's a reason Volquartsen has a market for extractors and not limited to shotguns. Volquartsen extractor is the number 1 mod going for Ruger 10/22 reliability, more than a few high end competition handguns use Volquartsen extractors.

The Remington forged extractor is more than adequate and that is the extractor used in trap 870's. I also have never seen the 870 break extractors but, I've seen them get rounded off from many rounds of steel base shells that didn't happen with brass base shells. As for the "A2 Tool Steel, and stainless - quite a neat trick" thing...stainless must be a Midway thing, I don't see Brownells or Volquartsen using that word in the description.

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Volquartsen makes some good stuff, as you said for much more than 870s, but I believe you get a better and wider tooth edge with conventional machining in this particular case. EDM doesn't give a better profile, but it is very useful in application on intricate shapes requiring inside metal removal (I have run 3 machine shops). A2 tool steel I should think is likewise, very good for applications such as this. I have not run across any extractors worn to the point where they needed replacement before many many years, but I don't work on nearly as many as I used to before steel based hulls became more common.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Thanks Virginian, I truly respect your expertise ;)

My main point for Buckeyebill was that if the gun was mostly used for trap then there shouldn't be anything worn. Trap doesn't require fast cycling/slamming the bolt closed like skeet, sporting clays and other fast doubles games that could fatigue/wear parts, 870 is very durable.

Good luck Buckeyebill, post some picks of the 870 TA :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have enjoyed reading your posts about 870's and extractors. Thanks for taking the time to offer up your knowledge. I have learned a thing or two. UPS will arrive on Monday.

I picked a barrel at a local shot on Wednesday. Barrel code indicates 1974 production date. 28 inch VR Modified. Price seems fair so I grabbed it. They also have a 1976 30 inch VR full but I had not funds. If it is there by the end of the month, well...

Bill

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello,

Gun arrived today and it looks good. These pictures are from the GB ad and they do not do the gun justice. Much better in person.

I have completely disassembled it and given it a good cleaning. Everything seems solid and it checks out.

One interesting note that I seek information on. During my cleaning, I removed the trigger group and I found a black spongey glob at the rear of the receiver. I removed it and on closer inspection, it appears to be a single yellow ear protection spong that was lodged at the rear of the receiver. What the heck?

http://s141.photobucket.com/user/1bucke ... 1.jpg.html]
[/URL]
http://s141.photobucket.com/user/1bucke ... 4.jpg.html]
[/URL]
http://s141.photobucket.com/user/1bucke ... 1.jpg.html]
[/URL]
http://s141.photobucket.com/user/1bucke ... 2.jpg.html]
[/URL]
http://s141.photobucket.com/user/1bucke ... 5.jpg.html]
[/URL]

Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.