Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I recently purchased a brand new Remington 870 Youth 20ga magnum for my daughter. We've had the gun out a couple of times and when it comes time to clean the shotgun I have no problem taking it down. Reassembling the shotgun however is a MAJOR task.

I've read the manual several times and even found video on youtube, yet when I try to put the gun back together I am unable to do so. I can get the first part of the process to happen (sliding the rail, firing pin, and plate in while depressing the 1st locking device, but when I depress the 2nd locking device and try to slide the assembly home, it feels like it gets jammed in the receiver and then nothing slides nicely. Almost like the 2nd rail isn't in it's groove or something..

I have NO IDEA what I am doing wrong and am wondering if the reassembly difficulty is normal for this shotgun. Also wondering if you have any tips for reassembly.

Thank you!

Rick

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
After you get the slides past the first shell latch, run it till it stops, and then just BARELY push it forward. I mean like a 1/16". And then depress the latch, and run it home. The only other sticky spot for me is getting the trigger group in, but start the shell lifter in first, and then work back to the rear of the trigger gaurd. On mine, there's a little "Tab", on the right side (when the gun is upside down and you're looking at the "Top") so you may have to press it in a little to make it fit.

BT

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Foolish me, when I first started assembling a 870, I tried to put the latch in backwards. The point was in the barrel. I posted for help and some nice person told me to turn it around. I did and it fit. I guess I had a mental lapse.

·
Registered
102 Posts
had same problem with my 20 youth.. works fine on my 12, but with the 20 i have to monkey with it for a few minutes for it to finally go back together.. try depressing both latches at once.. this may require another set of hands

1 - 5 of 5 Posts