Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for experience with this hull. Came into a couple hundred once fired. I would like to use Win209 primers, universal or 20/28 powder,and 3/4 oz loads. If you have used any of these what wad did you use? A couple of trial loads using 13.8gr universal , WinHS wad and a Fed 28SO filled the hull a little too full. Thinking a little shorter wad would be the ticket.

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
Pretend it's an STS, the PT-28 is probably your best fit or the DR PC-28 and old CF AA wads work well in those hulls too. (assuming they are just like the STS, Remington says they are) I've not loaded the 28 but have the 20. It was just like an STS and Remington says they are too, I suspect it's the same with 28s. I load lots of 28 ga STS and Nitro Sporting and those wads work well. My preferred 28 ga wad in the Remington STS, Premier, Nitro Sporting and I'm sure the new Clays and Field too is the DR PC-28. Much less money than the Remington PT-28 and works well.

BP

·
Registered
421 Posts
If it loads just like the STS, I think you will be way better off with a dense powder, as the 28 ga STS hull has capacity issues with 3/4 oz of shot. I've had ok luck loading them with Longshot (even more dense than 20/28, but the hull is still a little too full. This is with the CB pink AA wad (not the red AAHS wad).

Hopefully the American Clays hull in 28 ga will prove more durable than the STS. It's hard to understand why the STS hulls in the 12 and 20 ga offer terrific life - while the 28 ga is seriously inferior to a Win AAHS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.