Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot at lunch today, needed to practice offhand a little more before tomorrow. Brand new case of Core Lokt's from Wallworld and the second one didn't go off! Waited a minute or so, nerve racking to say the least. Thought that my trigger just didn't work right so I unloaded the shell and dry fired a couple of times and the Jewell wasn't the problem. Then I noticed the shallow dent on the primer and kicked the shell as far away as I could. Holy crap that was a scary moment! The dent was not nearly as deep or big around as the other fired primers. I have shot 5 boxes of this same lot over the last month with no problems and deadly accuracy. Not sure what happened. Anywho, I have a 8 in. center to center 4 shot group at 150 yard measured and confirmed with Google Earth, think my nerves got to me after the missfire though the last three shots were all 5-6 in. low, 3 in. group with the last shot about 2 in. away from the other two. Pretty decent for 150 yards offhand. Hope a deer wanders by tomorrow.

Scott

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention, this is a Tar Hunt RSG 12 with Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 scope. The first shot was 1 in. low of a dead center bullseye, the other three were low and a bit right.

Scott

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Sorry to hear about the dud round.
Sounds likely that it would have gone the second time around though.
I've had it happen occasionally with s.g. shells, fairly common with bulk .22 rimfire ammo, but I've yet to have fresh centerfire stuff do that after about 50 years of shooting.
(gawd I'm OLD!) :? :? :cry:
Let me comment that 8" groups offhand at 150 yards makes you one of the finest marksmen I've run across! :shock: :shock:
You're deer ready for sure. :wink:
Please comment more about your TarHunt s.g.
What kind of groups do you get from a steady bench rest?
With what ammo?
How much does one of those TarHunt rifles cost these days?
Someday if I ever get flush again I would buy one.
Been gimped up pretty badly since last April, funds are tight and I don't like it one bit. :twisted:
Where on the web can I find information about the TarHunt?
Really nice of you to share information with us.
I appreciate it.
I'm getting pretty weary of lousy slug groups, flyers, inconsistancy etc.
I've been thinking all along it's the ammo, but perhaps it's the s.g??????
I shoot an 870 Express cantalever, rifled, scoped and an Ultra Slugger scoped.
Can't get the accuracy I expected from expensive saboted ammo.
Perhaps the TarHunt is the answer?
Comments please?

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
W00DSHED said:
Then I noticed the shallow dent on the primer and kicked the shell as far away as I could. Holy crap that was a scary moment!
If it doesn't go off within 10 seconds or so, it isn't going to. You could have tried the shell again... maybe it was a light hit, maybe the primer was set too deep, maybe it was just a bad primer. No big deal, and nothing to be terribly scared about.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't really set out ot shoot any benchrest groups, just sighted it in off some bags to zero it @ 100 yards for shotgun season here in Indiana. It will do 2 in. groups pretty consistantly off the bags, probably better off a real rest and solid bench. I have shot a couple clover leafs at 100 yards so I would guess sub MOA is a real possibility. I have been focused on shooting off hand as of late so that I am ready to kill Bambi. I really tried to stretch my range to the max yesterday and was happy with the results other than the dud. It appears that it is capable of shooting 3-5 in. groups offhand at 150 and that is good enough for deer size game. I'll try to shoot it off a good rest and get back with some tighter groups next week. I have a Anschutz 1717 HB I need to mount a Zeiss Conquest on and sight in so I'm gonna be doing alot of shooting off of the bench real soon. Jeager, I bought the Tar Hunt used off the original owner. He paid $2300 for it new in 2000, I paid $1500 for it used. It is a joy to shoot and I have alot more confidence in this gun than I did in the Ithaca DSII I had previously. I have some Hornady SST's that I wanna try through it again as it shot those really well right off the bat but I had a couple of flyers and decided against using them on deer. Now I am starting to worry about the Core Lokt's with the dud and all. The only slugs I havn't tried so far is the new Winchester and the new Federal tipped Barnes. The original owner only shot Barnes out of it with good results so hopefully that will be another round I can use.

Scott

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah, Jimms, it is set at 2-1/4 pounds, pretty much perfect for hunting. Not toolight buit nice and crisp, breaks just when you expect it to every time. I am truly spoiled with this trigger. Hope the Annie has as nice of trigger on it.

Scott

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should also mention that yes, I am posting on opening morning, from work where I am stuck till 12:00, life sucks right now. I can literally hear the shotgun blasts from around the corner. My brother-in-law called to tell me that he is in my stand and seeing tons of does. I told him they are much better eating than the 12 pointer I have been watching for over a month. :D Cleaning my gun, gritting my teeth and smiling at the customers that come in, biding my time...

Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts