Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, was wondering if anybody uses the cheapo 3.00 box @walmart, remington high velocity 7/8 ounce 12 ga shells(black) for reloading? i'm new to reloading and was quite suprised how well these reloaded, at least a couple of times. i have lots, as i actually shoot them also. i never realized how much the hull can change the recipe, are these considered the same as sts, aa or any others? thanks for any help

·
Registered
51 Posts
From what I have read the STS & Nitro hulls are the same one piece construction.... Haven't read anywhere anyone loading the hulls you have...(cut the outer hull to see if they are one piece)....Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called Hodgdon on this one and they said it is ok to reload like the sts or nitro 27's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that a lot of the hulls that get tossed would probably be alright for reloading at least one if not a couple of times. Problem is trying to find load data on them is tough. You don't have the proper load data, and you could be in or a nasty suprize! :shock:

I could pick up litterly thousands of Cleve Mirage hulls, which don't look like to bad a hull, very clean after being shot. I also see many of the black hulls, and blue challenger hulls left behind.

Problem is there is no load data on them. What can one do? It would be a great way to recycle plastic?

I hope your loads work out good for you!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies and dogs for calling! if they have them available at walmarts by you guys, not a bad deal at 3 bucks a box and they reload pretty good. i use solo 1000-only because thats what a friend recommended, anyone give me a reason to switch to hodgden, as thats what a lot of people use here? i'm also considering getting into 28 ga. reloading, i think hodgden universal will work for both, 12 and 28, am i sacrificing anything by getting one powder for both? thanks again, paul

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
For 12 ga, I use Hodgdon Titewad or Alliant Promo as they are the cheapest around here and produce good loads. The Accurate powders aren't as common and run about the same as Alliant Red Dot but still a little cheaper than Hodgdon Clays. I load in excess of 12,000 rounds a year and the price adds up. For the 28, Universal is a good powder and I like Alliant Unique or Herco also. Universal can be used for 12 ga 1 1/8 oz target loads but is more at home in 1 1/4 oz hunting loads. It is much more economical to use a different powder fot the two guages. Using Universal for 1 1/8 oz loads can up the cost of powder in a shell around 15% and over time adds up.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I don't know anything about the Mirage hulls, but I have data and have loaded lots of the blue Challanger hulls. Treat them just like the Cheddite/Estate/PMC hulls and they work just fine. I'm just curious what that nasty surprise could be if I load the straight hull plastic base shell at the 1145 fps level when the very similar hull with the same powder and shot charge at several grains more powder is used for 1200, 1250, and 1300 fps loads? I've done this for years and always run my first light loads over my chronograph just to check them to see how they act. Only problem I've ever encountered is with either too long or too short of wad crimps can be too loose or too tight. Not too big of problem to correct. When you study the data available from the hull, powder, and wad manufacturers it becomes abundantly clear that there is quite a bit of interchangability between components and hulls depending on who's data you are looking at at the time. Most times it doesn't vary more than a couple 1/10s in powder charge no matter which wad, hull or primer you use and the results in velocity seem to change about the same amount per 1/2 gr of powder too. Like I said, when you study enough data, you will get some that is appropriate. I've got printed data from Graf and sons for the Challanger hull as interchanged with the Cheddite and PMC hull. Other powder companys list data for thier powder for a varity of hulls too. If Hodgdon list the same load for Cheddite and PMC and REX lists the same load for Cheddite and Challanger, how much differedce can there be between the Cheddite, Challanger, and PMC. When you find the same load data for the Federal hull with the paper base or the Fiocchi hull the same as one for Challanger hulls, how much difference is there really? None that I've detected! 18 gr of REX 1 with 1 oz loads and any one of 3 different wads all load the same in all those forementioned hulls. Don't see any reason why it wouldn't be about the same with 700x or solo 1000 or unique? Just my opinion, mind you!

I prefer AAs, STS and either Winchester, Claaybuster or Windjamer wads.

BP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts