Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What makes this round tick? Does anyone know what powder and how much?

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Chris,
Remington's website states that the Nitro 27 Sporting Clays load is a 2-3/4 inch shell, carrying 1-1/8 oz. of #7-1/2 or #8 shot at 1300 FPS. Pretty straightforward.

Now, every one knows that the powder used in factory ammo is proprietary, and is not available to reloaders, and that any details about the charge in the load are not made public.

Therefore the reloader must choose a similar load from the published load books available from all powder makers. Then try to duplicate the performance of that shell as best he can.

Since Remington is known to use powders produced by Alliant Technologies, looking at their book or website, you find listed loads at 1310 FPS using both Unique and Herco.

I would pick the one I liked and try it out to see if it suited my need. I would pick the one that uses components that were locally available to me and go with that. I also would prefer the Unique loads over the ones using Herco.

Good Luck, DLM

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
D L Marcum said:
Chris,
Remington's website states that the Nitro 27 Sporting Clays load is a 2-3/4 inch shell, carrying 1-1/8 oz. of #7-1/2 or #8 shot at 1300 FPS. Pretty straightforward.
DLM
This thread is bouncing around about two different Remington loads here!

If we are going to call it "Nitro 27" Then velocities are 1235fps (for 1 1/8oz) and Kevin is correct as to wad and contents. (Powder)

Now if we are talking about the Nitro Gold Sporting Clays load then velocities are as DLM quoted.

Chris, if the Nitro Gold SC is what you are asking about they could have Unique in them as DLM states. They are dirtier than the Nitro 27 1235fps loads and don't even break birds as well for me!

Slidehammer

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the Nitro gold sporting clays is what I'm asking about.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Chris,
I picked up on the Nitro "Sporting Clays" in your first post and researched the velocity ETC. before posting my reply.

Unless you can find another powder maker listing a similar load to duplicate the specifications of the Remington load, the load using Unique is probably one of the better loads. Also, at similar velocity is a couple of loads using Hodgdons Universal, in Hodgdon's load book.

DLM

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know the premier nitro sporting clays loads use a Remington power piston figure 8 wad. The only load belting out a 1300fps 1 1/8oz payload using that wad just so happens to be charged with hodgdon universal, but it lists this load with a win209 primer. I know remington isn't using a win primer in their load so I'm thinking either it isn't in the books or they use a special blend.

I'm going to have to take one apart and maybe see if I can figure out something.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Chris,
As Kevin from Down Range Mfg. stated, Remington does not load the STS primers in their factory ammo, and no-one seems to have any knowledge as to what they actually are.

I would not hesitate to load Hodgdon's load, and use the W-209's, as they are one of the most stable primers in existance.

However, do as you will.

DLM

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone have experiance with universal and mec bushings? I realize I'll have to verify weight, but I wonder how close it might be. Some powders are all over the place you know...

·
Registered
314 Posts
D L Marcum said:
Chris,
As Kevin from Down Range Mfg. stated, Remington does not load the STS primers in their factory ammo, and no-one seems to have any knowledge as to what they actually are.

I would not hesitate to load Hodgdon's load, and use the W-209's, as they are one of the most stable primers in existance.

However, do as you will.

DLM
I am looking at the back of a box of Gun Club ammo and the illustration says "Premier STS Primer mix".

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On the Nitro Sporting clays box it says, "Specially selected powders and #209 premier primer"

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
Don't believe everything you read. Specially selected powder could be anything. Even from lot run to lot run. One time they specially select Titegroup and the next time they may specially select Unique or maybe even the next time some specially selected proprietary blend. Who knows what specially selected really amounts to. Might be Hodgdon one time and maybe Alliant next time? Remington Premier primers or even compound could be fairly ambiguous. I suspect they mix a primer compound in a lot for a certain run and once it is used up they again make a lot of priming compound. I'd bet they have a range of tolerance in performance in priming compounds too. My experience in life tells me the only absolute is; there are no absolutes! The one and only Nitro I took apart indeed had a Figure-8 style wad, it indeed had a powder similar in look to a Hodgdon powder in the titegroup family and indeed it appeared to have a current manufactured 209 STS primer in it. Other than that, I know absolutely nothing about what they really used to load them. I always wonder why folks get so hung up on using the EXACT same components for handloading shells as the manufacturer uses? :? (I'm convinced that changes from time to time depending on availability of components and price.)

And so what?:roll: Use what gets you the same performance and move on! This isn't rocked science. How many new factory loaded shells do you think they load with once or even 10 times fired hulls?

Yup! that's how many I think they use too.

It's the performance of the load obtained that is important, not who's powder or whether or not it really is or is not a certain primer in any particular shell that really counts.

The wad probably has the most impact on the situation anyway.

Just my opinion, by the way!

BP

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Yup ! BP nailed it.

That's like saying that the load MUST be in a Nitro 27 case with that stamped on the side, or it won't work. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Trying to exactly duplicate Factory performance, by using exactly the same components as the factory uses, is mostly an exercise in futility, and in most cases cannot be done, due to the factory's use of proprietary items that you as an individual loader cannot purchase. As BP states, don't put too much stock in what's written on the box, as that's mostly Marketing hype anyway.

However, with all this said, it's not too hard to reproduce Factory performance, with available and fully compatable components that are available to the reloader. Doesn't have to have XXX brand powder or ZZZ brand primers or YYY brand Wads to achieve it either. Some brands work better than others, but a certain performance level is NOT dependent on the use of one certain set of components. Many component combinations can and will achieve any given performance level.

So do as you will, but the best advise I can give you is to use the listed book data, giving the performance level you
desire, and go with it. You then have some kind of basis in which to judge what is working for you and what is not.

DLM

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to give hodgdons universal a try. Sure would be nice to cut some costs over the factory loads and duplicate them to the best of my abilities. The Nitro's are not the cheapest around by far, but to me they are some of the best available...

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Burnt Powder said:
The wad probably has the most impact on the situation anyway.
No mention yet on this thread of the quality of the shot. I suspect that using really hard shot, like Remington's STS brand, would contribute very much to a handload's ability to duplicate a factory load's performance.

--Bob

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
01lariat said:
I'm going to give hodgdons universal a try. Sure would be nice to cut some costs over the factory loads and duplicate them to the best of my abilities. The Nitro's are not the cheapest around by far, but to me they are some of the best available...
If you are looking to save some bucks and still have a good load I would suggest using the CB clones of wads (I use windjammer clones) use Fiocchi primers and alliant promo powder. I like to spend the extra buck and get better shot (lawrence, STS or western) I load them to 1200 fps or slightly faster and I have good performance on some long targets with them. I use the gold Nitro 27 cases or the green STS.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.