Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son bought a Remmington rifled barrel and scope package for his 870. The scope was mounted in the package. When he put it on there does not seem to be much eye relief. Does anybody have any experience with this setup? The eye relief seems too close for comfort, though moving away from the scope will lose field of view. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
bremington said:
My son bought a Remmington rifled barrel and scope package for his 870. The scope was mounted in the package. When he put it on there does not seem to be much eye relief. Does anybody have any experience with this setup? The eye relief seems too close for comfort, though moving away from the scope will lose field of view. Any thoughts?
Without knowing the exact barrel combo it is impossible to tell what scope is on the gun. (I do know some of the combo's came with a Bushnell Banner 3-9x32mm shotgun scope though).

Either way, in order to even discuss the problem we need to be clear what you are discussing when you say there is not much eye relief. Do you mean there is not much room between his eye and the scope where the scope is currently mounted? Or do you mean that no matter where the scope is mounted on the gun you can't see through it properly if your eye is not very close to the scope? (These are two different issue with two different corrective actions.)

More than likely, if you have moved the scope around within the rings and you still can't good a sight picture, the scope is simply of poor quality and you need to either accept that fact or replace it.

If you can provide some additional we can provide more specific insight.

JC

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Save yourself some grief and pull that scope off and put it on a .22. Why ?
I have yet to see one last any appreciable time with a slug gun. The relief is one
issue (That will only leave you with a bloody "idiot mark") the durability is another.
A lot of manufacturers are marketing a package deal. Remember that for the price you get what you pay for. On a rimfire it may last you a lifetime...On a slug gun good luck! I would bet that the scope is a mainland china variation of a generic hunting scope. Check it out.
It may get you thru a season or two if you only fire a couple of boxes of slugs. You might get lucky. My advice plan for a good used Leupold in your future.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
neophyte said:
It may get you thru a season or two if you only fire a couple of boxes of slugs. You might get lucky. My advice plan for a good used Leupold in your future.
Well,

I gotta give kudos to Neo for this one...He said whatexactly I was thinking! I just didn't have the heart to say it since it was a new purchase, (and given all of the guff I get when I talk about anything that involves money, I just didn't have the energy for it...LOL)

Seriously though, heed Neo's advice...it is excellent!

JC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts