Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are at least three Remington Sportsman 58 semi-auto shotguns for sale around here ranging from $200 to $350 Canadian (about $154 to $270 U.S.)

Does anyone have an recomendations about this shotgun?

I have an 870 but I'm itching to get a semi for shooting sporting clays and a backup for waterfowl.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
They are an interesting old gun, I have not seen one in use for a while.

http://www.remington.com/library/histor ... rtsman.asp

The 58 has not been made for 43 years. Some parts may not be easy to get but they can be obtained so any breakage would be an inconveniance, not a major problem.

The 58's did have a reputation for develping a crack in the receiver behind the bolt handle slot.

58's predate Remchokes chokes so the guns will either have fixed chokes or a device like a Polychoke or Cutts Compesator which allow choke changes; that is unless they have been fitted more recently with custom choke tubes.

If the fixed choke suits most of you sporting clays use, it may work for you.

The gas system is inside the mag tube, rather than on the outside of the tube (like that of an 1100), making cleaning more involved.

Though it would not be my choice for my use, if the above mentioned things are taken into consideration, the 58 may work well for what you want to do with it, depending how much shooting you plan to do.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
MD ,

If you can get a pretty good M-58 for that price , that would ba a good buy . You'r need to look at the piston and at the inside of the mag-tube because as Claydust says , the heart of the gas action is inside the mag-tube .

The M-58 is basically an 870 modified to automatically load ; some 870 parts will fit and those that don't can be found . It is a good bit lighter than an 1100 and just a bit heavier than an 870 .

In 20 ga , it can be a teriffic gun for a youngster or a lady ; a banged up 870 stock can be shortened and used until the original stock is appropriate for use . They are soft shooting guns when reasonable loads are used .

Someone like Mike Orlen can probably put threads in the barrel and suppyy 3 chokes or so for less than $100 or you can get an 870 barrel and have ports drilled .

·
Registered
12 Posts
I currently own and shoot a 58. It's a fun thing to me because I had one years ago and was fortunate enough to find another recently. I also had a Hastings 870 barrel which I drilled for gas myself and installed. It works perfectly. Keep the gas piston dry and clean and the gun will work fine. I love it when fellow shooters ask about it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have two 58s; despite their age, they are great shotguns that are a pleasure to pull from the safe and take out for a day. They are very pointable, quick, and (relatively) light.

The gas action is indeed inside the mag tube, but the gas piston is equipped with a metal seal ring similar to the piston rings in your car- this does a good job of keeping the combustion gases confined to the front of the mag tube.

In my opinion, the 58 stacks up favorably to any number of autoloaders, particularly if you like the look and feel of the 870.

·
Registered
71 Posts
MD: Re: your question on the REM Model 58.
I purchased mine new in 1957 when it was 1st available in my area. 12 ga; 28" VR barrel; mod choke. After realizing how well it fit me and I liked the 'soft' recoil -- even with 2 3/4" short magnums, I sent it (in 1958) to "The Chicago Gun Center" and had them install an: "Adjustomatic" Choke device, mfg by the Hartford Gun Choke Co., out of Conn. I had started to shoot skeet with it at that time.

I have never had any operational problems with the gun. My guess is that I've put at least 10000 skeet loads thru it; and probably another 10000 assorted trap, hunting loads & slugs(including at least 1000 2 3/4" short magnums). Regular cleaning and normal care have kept it going. It and a 1904 LeFever were my only 2 shotguns for over 23 years. For the last few years I keep it above the front door (loaded with 3 slugs) since I've been surprised by a couple of black bears on the front porch in recent years at dawn.

If the one you choose to buy has had proper care, it should serve you well. Grizzly

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fabulous!!!!!!!!
My first "real" gun. 1965 to 1975 it shot a whole lot of 1.5oz baby magnums. It did break an extractor once. I wish I had it back though. I shot it as well or better than any other.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.