Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to buy a shotgun for about $300 to $400. I want to go hunting for Ducks, goose, quail..., which one of these guns would be better? Or would you consider something else? I thank you for your time.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
That's a tough question and here is my own opinion. With the 870 you get amazing reliability. As an example, I have a friend that duck hunts with his 870 and has dropped it in the water several times with no adverse effects. The 870 will last forever. I, myself, shoot a Mossberg Model 500 for dove hunting (some skeet and trap, too). I've put well over 1,000 rounds through it and it seems to work fine. The 835 does have an advantage over the standard 870 in that it is chambered for 3 1/2" shells. However, you can buy the 870 Super Magnum that shoots 3 1/2" shells, too. I personally would pick the 870 for the reliability factor. Both have a wide variety of extra barrels for about the same price. Hope this helps. P.S. If you have an Academy Sports store near you they currently have the Model 870 on sale for $219.regards,Jay GentryShotgunworld.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vic, Jay is right aabout the Remington. Mossberg makes a good shotgun but having shot both, the Remington seemed more solid and did not kick nearly as hard with the 3 1/2" Magnum.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Not a mossberg fan, the guns are clunky and just not that well made. Seen too many in pieces. That said a friend has an 835 that he is pleased with, has held up just fine with the limited amount of use it gets. The 870 has been a mainstay of shotgunning for a long time and you would likely not go wrong using one.Take a look at the Benelli Nova, it has a longer stroke and a larger fore end than most pumps, so if you are used to another it will take some getting used too. They sell for around $350.Rick

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I had the Ulti-mag and 870 at the same time, like the others said, the Mossberg was a rattle trap. Plus, with heavier loads I had problems with the Mossberg jamming. It plain just would not pump after a shot unless I took both hands on the forearm and slammed the butt on the ground. For me, every 870 I've shot has felt natural, they would instinctively point on target.A good example, I had used the 835 for four years and had shot the 870 twice, I took both to the traprange, shot the 835 first and broke 18 , turned around and picked up the 870 and broke 23, hit 24 but one didn't bust.Oh yeah, the space for the 835 in the cabinet is empty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 870 gets my vote too. The forarm of the Mossberg's tend to rattle after some use. In my opinion they are very bulky and not a streamline as the 870. All my friends duck hunt with 870s and they put their guns through alot of abuse but they are always reliable and tuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have an 870 that i hunt everything and have had no problems with it....its a wonderful gun and would never shoot nething but an 870

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doesn't anyone find the safety of the 870 too small and poorly located and the trigger guard too small ?In cold weather with gloves on I don't think I could get a shot off at a flushing partridge.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Ron, I would agree that the safety on the Mossberg is a bit more convenient. I have the extra handicap of shooting lefty while only owning right handed guns and have had no problem with the points you mentioned on the 870 when hunting Ringnecks. Matter of fact, I think it keeps me from shooting too fast.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
The Mossberg safety is a plastic thing, I have replaced them on others guns with a homemade metal one. The safety is notorious for getting hung on weeds or vines and breaking off. Used an old pair of pliers and ground down a piece of the handle with the groves to fit.Rick

·
Registered
1 Posts
Although I was raised on Browning A-5's, the first gun I ever purchased myself was a Remington 870 Express in 1987, when I was 16 years old. What a great gun....I bought an 835 ultimag in 1989, and sold it two years later. I originally purchased it to be an all-purpose shotgun (full time--ducks, doves, and turkey; occasional--geese, quail), but from my experience, it was not a durable enough shotgun to undergo that task for multiple years. I have heard the same from many folks. By the same token, I have heard of 2 folks that liked their particular 835's (out of 20 or so 835 owners). I guess that occasionally you'll run into a good one. From my experience, during the second year of use, I started having trouble with the safety sticking, and the gun jammed occasionally, as well. It also did not shoulder as well as the Remington 870 Express-- it seemed as if I had to press my face farther down on the stock of the 835 to line the beads up (could be a problem with stock pitch [?])-- this was no fun with turkey/waterfowl loads, neither was it a joy to shoot 4-5 boxes at doves in an afternoon. The positives I did give the 835, however, is that it was a tad lighter than the 870, even with the Mossberg's 3.5" receiver (***** and bbl length being equal)-- I believe it was due to an aluminum alloy receiver as opposed to Remington's all steel receiver. Also, the Mossberg had twin extractors, compared to Remington's single extractor (although I have to admit that one extractor has been sufficient for years--I have never needed two extractors with any of my 870's since I've owned them). Additionally, the Mossbergs come with a camo finish, and the Remington 870 Express does not (if you are concerned about a camo gun for turkeys, etc). In the early 90's, another plus for Mossberg, of course, was the 3.5" capability, but that it now moot, since the Express is offered in the same chambering. After selling my 835, I got a 3" synthetic 870 Express, and it was my do-all gun for several years--VERY happy with its performance and durability. The only instance where I would actually recommend the Mossberg 835 UM is for a "turkey hunting only" gun. Unless one pattern tests their gun 25 times a year, and kills 50 turkeys a year, the gun should prove to be durable for many years. I also hear that it patterns well. Plus the tight shouldering fit of the gun should be remedied by getting aftermarket Tru-Glo sights or a scope--it will hopefully get one's face off the stock a bit. Although I have specialized 870 Express Mag for turkey hunting, I would not hesitate to use the Mossberg 835 UM for that purpose. I also want to give Mossberg/Federal their due for getting the 3.5" ball rolling (especially for us waterfowlers).....Hope this helps,Scott

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mojo, have you actually read the preceeding posts?! The remington will BLOW the mossberg away for reliablility and performance. I dont own the 870 but I recently purchased a 11-87 premier semi auto and this gun is extremely solid and functions flawlessly. I'm sure the 870 is no exception. I've only had it at the gun range 3 times but I've already put 175 shells through it with no problems. I've got another 100 shells ready for the next day at the range, cant wait. I'm TOTALLY happy with this gun and I'm glad I didnt buy a lesser gun (I was thinking of a traditions but they looked and felt cheaply made, thus the low price).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned multiple rem 870s, mossbergs and winchesters.By far the remington is the least reliable. The military uses mossberg because the remington and winchester failed the firing test. I used one in the Army. Mossbergs and Winchesters are much more reliable than Rem's. I will never buy another Rem shotgun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a Remington 870 and its great. I woudnt even think about buying a mossburg.I shot a mossburg 5 or 6 times with a 3'' inch magnum it was terrible. Then I shot the Remington it shot 10 times better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased an 835 UM and was amazed by it's performance. It has been 15 years since I have had the opportunity to hunt water fowl. The first two shots out of the box brought in birds. The recoil on the 835, I found to be minimum with 3" Mag loads. The gun is a real pleasure to shoot and the price is right.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts