Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....looking for some opinions. I have a High Tech SC3 that I purchased with fixed chokes (24's) upper and lower barrels that I am looking to replace with set of screw in extended chokes (decision already made at this point). I mainly shoot sporting clays at various courses (95%) with a side of trap (5%).I know Briley (among others) can do this work, but doing work on the barrels by third parties will mot likely void the warranty on the barrels from Perazzi. So here's the question...... am I better off
1.) sending the barrels to Perazzi to retro fit with some titanium screw in chokes (not even sure they do this work)
2.) send the barrels to Briley or Giacomo's for modification or
3.) buy a new set of 32" barrels from Perazzi pre-made with the extended chokes.

Thanks for the insights and advice.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.....my knees (and scores) are weak as well! If the only response that makes sense if I should purchase new barrels, then these fixed choke barrels will have to find another home........;-)

· Registered
28,021 Posts
Why not have one opened up to what you want?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.......I have thought about opening then top barrel to .016, but I would run into the same issue. That being does opening up the barrel from someone other that P void the warranty? I think it would.....plus I am a "tinker-er". I change chokes for different courses (IC, LM, M, IM) and having fixed chokes again would defeat my purpose for versatility.

· Registered
28,021 Posts
If the barrels are selective, I would opt for .016 and .024 for anything sporting/FITASC related (not a trap or skeet shooter). Otherwise, call Coles; that are a factory authorized Perazzi dealer/repair and ask them what anything does to the warranty; I'd also call Giacomo and ask the same thing.

Reactions: MTR

· Registered
987 Posts
Hey guys....looking for some opinions. I have a High Tech SC3 that I purchased with fixed chokes (24's) upper and lower barrels that I am looking to replace with set of screw in extended chokes (decision already made at this point). I mainly shoot sporting clays at various courses (95%) with a side of trap (5%).I know Briley (among others) can do this work, but doing work on the barrels by third parties will mot likely void the warranty on the barrels from Perazzi. So here's the question...... am I better off
1.) sending the barrels to Perazzi to retro fit with some titanium screw in chokes (not even sure they do this work)
2.) send the barrels to Briley or Giacomo's for modification or
3.) buy a new set of 32" barrels from Perazzi pre-made with the extended chokes.

Thanks for the insights and advice.
how long is a Perazzi warranty anyway? Isn't it just one year? How long have you had the gun? For however long you have had it, if it hasn't crapped out on you yet, it prolly won't before the 12 months is up.

· Registered
2,824 Posts
i like the 16/24 (4 and 6 in perazzi speak) idea a lot. actually looking at an mx2000 choked that way and think it's pretty perfect sounding. would not want 16/16 as i think it would be limiting on longish stuff. and of course they make spreaders.

i don't get all these 20/30 guns out there. maybe once you're master level but until then would surely be frustrating.

· Registered
15,044 Posts
I have had Briley do several guns and am HAPPY.

· Registered
755 Posts
If you sprung for a new Perazzi, don't cheap out on who does the chokes. Go with Briley. It might cost a little more, you might wait a little longer, but it'll hold its value like no other set of thinwall chokes will, and it'll be worth it.

· Registered
81 Posts
I love thin walls, personally I think they keep the same dynamic of the bbl as a fixed choke gun, where as a factory choked bbl are almost always too heavy in the front. Please take my advice, go to Briley or Tom Wilkinson. Do NOT try and save a couple bucks going to some other manufacturer for installation of thin wall chokes. And no the factory can not retro fit there chokes to your bbl. Factory chokes gotta have more meat up front in the bbl where they cut the choke.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yowzah…. “Spawn of Satan”……:). Didn’t realize I would burn in hell for taking out some fixed chokes…….just kidding, I get the point. But a new set of chokes is $1K ish, a new set of barrels is $4500. So there is a difference that should be considered. Thx

· Registered
67 Posts
Targa, I'll answer your question with my opinion, FWIW. I'd have Briley or Wilkinson install thin walls. If you don't like it you could always buy another set of fixed choke barrels, but based on what you've posted I'm of the opinion you will be pleased with the outcome. Why spend money on another set of barrels first? If you like them choke tubed you won't need to spend the barrel $ at all.

Others may find the following a travesty, so be forewarned. I recently modified an older MX8 into a sporting clays gun by doing the following. I shaved off the Monte Carlo and it now has standard sporter dimensions (patterns 60/40). I then whittled the beavertail forend into a sporting configuration and had it checkered to match the pistol grip. Then I refinished the entire stock with an oil finish. To top it off I had Briley install thin wall choke tubes. When I shoot skeet with it I shoot 2 skeet chokes. For sporting I usually run two light mods. For FITASC I use lt mod / Imod. It came out great and makes a fine sporting/skeet gun. I occasionally shoot trap with it and use lt mod for singles and Imod for handicap. I use the release/pull trigger for trap and I pop in the pull/pull trigger for skeet and sporting. It's now a very versatile all around shotgun that suits me well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.