Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd say I got some pretty good responses from that post. I don't know about being made in China, but every gunsmith I've talked to has said Remmington quality has gone downhill since about 1996. There's more "new" Rem. on the "used" gunracks at the dealer around here than any other brand, whats that tell you? It's sure not for lack of self space. :roll:

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I agree with the person who wrote;

Maybe it's because there are more Remingtons out there, thus more repairs, OR, some of the others are so sorry they just aren't worth fixing.

....end quote

There are millions of these out there and not all see proper use and care.

I bought my 870TB trap, new in 1976, it has fired 75,000 to 100,000 shells. It has needed some repairs but then so have a number of K80's and Perazzi's owned by people I have shot with.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The answer to that is simple. NO Quality Control.
Remington. Rules Walmart. They are the King of the el cheapos.
Meanwhile. REAL gunstores are refusing to carry Remington products.

There are better ways to waste money than spend it on the " crap" they are currently putting out.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Remington's fit and finish have gone down somewhat from the earlier days. I, too have heard the same exact thing about Remington. If you find one a rack for sale that somehow you can determine is 7-8+ years old it's probably a good buy assuming a halfway decent price. Newer stuff just doesn't seem to have the refinement Remington used to place in guns.

Now, they ARE having to compete more directly with Mossberg, Benelli and Winchester, esp as less-expensive models come to market. Benelli's excellent Nova sure has raised the bar on a $300 shotgun. Remington, once solidly assured of first place here has fallen to a somewhat distant second, as I consider the Nova superior on just about every way.

I STILL think they deserve a look. They're like the old Dodge trucks... good for what they did, but kinda rough there towards the end of the product line. And now they're having to compete with new-generation firearms of (in some cases) superior design.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
javven said:
Remington's fit and finish have gone down somewhat from the earlier days.
I have been shooting them for 30 years.

Seems to me that quality goes up and down;

I like my 1976 870TB trap and my 1980 870SA skeet.

I did not like my 1985 Wingmaster and sold it. Mid 80's had stock wood quality, poor patterning Remchokes, at least in my limited experience.

I like my 1989 20g Ltwt Wingmaster

My 1994 870TC trap is not bad.

When I bought my 1997 870 Wingmaster, I was glad to have a few to "pick through".

Sounds like they may be in a period of down turn right now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am currently at my parents house, and looking through my dads gun cabinet. His 80-something wingmaster is one of the most solid feeling guns I have ever held....along with his model 11 12 *****. I know every company can go through changes; some good, some bad. My first gun was a Remington, and I hope that trends change and I am compelled to once again purchase a "classic".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.