Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking some SamL advice and going to try to fit a 20g Sportsman 58 with a Limbsaver pad using their templates. Problem, though, is removing the old pad. It's an old white line that is almost crumbling off, but the big problem is that it seems glued onto the stock. Any advice for how to get a glued pad off? I could just chisel it, I suppose, but I'm a little worried I might inadvertently damage the stock. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sometimes the holes for the screws can become really obscured through age. My old Super X-1 was like that; I didn't think it had screws at first. In that case it did, but I have seen situations where they were glued on.

If it really is glued, personally, I wouldn't try to remove it myself because it would be really easy to mangle the end of the stock. I'd probably take it to a 'smith, at least to have the old one removed (maybe with a bandsaw or something), and put the new one on myself. But that's just me. In any case, you'll probably have to (re)drill the screw holes, and you might decide that's more than you want to deal with, too.

If you're adventurous, after ensuring there really aren't screws in there, you might try a chisel, flat side to the stock, and tap it in there to see if it gives. If it does it'll probably pop right off. But you have to ask yourself, "Am I feeling lucky?" :)

-- Sam

·
Registered
91 Posts
shunger,

I just had to use a band saw to remove a epoxied on pad from an HS Precission stock,but I was going to shorten the stock one inch and needed to re-use the pad. Other wise I would have used the shop's big disc sander to remove the hard rubber part of the pad after I had remover as much of the soft part as possable.Something to keep in mind is that there are big steel washers under the screw heads and they should be easy enough to get to with out getting very close to the wood. I use heavy leather in a woodworkers vise th hold the stock while getting the washers out.

Good luck, joe

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - I have been able to find the screws and get them out. I've been able to get most of the pad off too. But there is still a layer of material over the butt that is resisting my cautious attempts to remove it with a flathead screwdriver. Sounds like a disc sander is in order and look out, I don't have one. Guess I am going to a gunsmith.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts