Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I have always resized hulls that I have loaded. I only use hinge guns though, and wonder if I am wasting my time?

Do any of you actually not bother to resize, just deprime, and move to the next station? Sure would save some elbow greese!

What about pick up hulls? Can you get away with not sizing them too? (Keep in mind this is for hinge guns, I know semi's can have problems, and I imagine perhaps pumps as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
12GA guy ,

When I have been lucky enough to stumble across an STS or a NITRO , resizing has never been an issue that I can recall . Some presses offer enough favorable advantages to prompt a reloader to commit to one case ---- knowing that such hulls aren't all that easy to come by .

Selecting a MEC 650 with a UCB and PC baffle offer low first cost , reasonable reloading rates and easy maintenance .

But, if you choose to drive a BMW, Lexus , Cady , etc, you'll probably be happier with a P-W , RCBS or Spolar .

·
Registered
34 Posts

12GA guy
I own a Mec650 it doesen't have a resizer. I have and use a ( seperate operation) mac resizer. This way I can check all of my empty cases as I resize them. Don't think it saves any time while reloading, but I know that they good to go. I also have a bt 99 and a over under. I still check & resize before reloading.
later DOC

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Always resize every hull every time, NO exceptions! No problems either! I have way more than one gun I shoot my shells in. Even if I didn't I'd still resize every hull every time.

BP

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
I agree about resizing.
I loaded some .410's one time that would not even go in the chamber of one gun,
If I hadn't had another .410 O&U to shoot them in, I would have been sh*t out of luck.

Every reloader I have or will have, will resize hulls.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I've never resized until now.I've always used break action guns and sizing wasn't neccessary.Now,however,I've got a wife and two daughters using an 1100 trap gun and every case goes through the resize station.Dave

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
My experience has been that some break open guns (winchester 101 in particular) have tight chambers and require perfectly sized shells. I tried not resizing for a while and just could not put up with the poor fit of shells and the number that would not chamber correctly. Sometimes the shell would drop in the chamber but the gun would not close. I have gone back to resizing everything. Rim thickness and the flatness of the face of the hull can be very important factors in whether the shell chambers.

I use a MEC with the collet sizer and I don't see that sizing causes much if any extra work. You have to deprime anyway and it resizes at the same time, so what is the problem?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vetteman said:
I've never resized until now.I've always used break action guns and sizing wasn't neccessary.Now,however,I've got a wife and two daughters using an 1100 trap gun and every case goes through the resize station.Dave
Well this is what I wondered Dave, after reading about it on another forum. It claimed break guns seemed to accept reloaded hulls without resizing them everytime.

I admit though I do have a Win 101, which Bill M. mentions in his post he has had problems with, so I may just have to pull that lever down all the way after all. I don't want to break an ejector or some dumb thing..

My Versamec 700 does have a ring type resizer. It seems that some may have misread my original post, and thought that I have no way to resize..

Thanks fellows for your responses. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts