Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a few other forums, and a thread on rec.hunting made me remember something. My worst experience hunting, and I wanted to share that with each of you today.I was 15, and it was the last time I was to go hunting with my grandfather. He, my younger brother, and myself were quail hunting in west Texas. We were on our way back to the camp in the jeep when I spotted a covey running through the brush.I jumped off the jeep, walked out about 20 feet, stopped and turned back to my grandfather. "You boys go on over there, I'll just wait here.", he said I argued with him to come, he'd taken us out to the deer stands the whole weekend, and hadn't done any hunting for himself. I wanted him to have some fun as well. He gave in, and I turned around to watch the covey. My younger brother, still sitting on front mounted seats of the Jeep, fired in the direction of the covey...where I was just out of his line.I knew instantly what had happened... I couldn't hear a thing, my ears rang intensely. My first reaction, "Am I dead?" I turned around and realized "No...I'm not". I watched as my grandfather proceeded to kick the [email protected]#% out of my brother for his careless and irresponsible behavior. I know he regrets what happened that day, and I dare not remind him of it. I shouldn't need to.I'm very lucky his gun had a full choke or else I may not have been able to write this tonight. The season is about to open, and many of us (especially myself) are chompin at the bit to do some dove hunting. Before we do, I'd like to ask each of you to take a few moments to remember a few things.I'd like to ask that each of you please remember the person who taught you what it means to be a hunter, and the responsibilities that go along with it. Look back and relfect your worst experience hunting. For some, it could be the time you accidentally killed a hen pheasant. Or the time you gut shot a deer and felt bad that it had a slow death. Some of you may want to share it in the forum to make others aware of what can go wrong, and help them avoid the same mistakes.Teach your sons, daughters, nieces, nephews,...and younger brothers what you have been so fortunate to learn. Please take the time to realize how privileged we all are.--Wing

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Amen.My worse. Quail hunting with my Dad when I was 12. We had just flushed a covey and were moving through some honey suckle vines where we saw them go back down. Dad went first the easiest part of the vines and then I followed in the rear. We were about to the spot so I had my single shot's hammer cocked. When I took my next step the vines tore the gun out of my hands and it fell slow motion like (to me anyway) with the barrel pointed towards my Dad. I'm not sure which was worse. The thought that I almost shot my Dad or the icy stare that he gave me. I learned not to go off safety until just before I shoot.Oh, I did shoot a guy in the head with a Daisy 760 pellet gun, but that was his fault. Then there was the time I nearly took my friends thumb off with a Bowie knife, but now I'm getting off the subject.Keep it safe. Remember ...dove are easier to find than a new friend.Jay GentryShotgunworld.com Shotgunworld.com

·
Registered
263 Posts
Jay you had a bad childhood didn't you. Accident prone jay. Last year during quail season we took the dentis (shut up) hunting and i was walking beside him then next hten i know he's yelling at me to duck so he can shoot at a bird. I almost kill himd. I thought i was dead, so no matter what age make sure your safe!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
A bad childhood? Naw, it wasn't me that was getting hurt...just those around me. Besides I was 12 then and it's been months since I've mangled anybody. ;) I would recommend that you only take the dentist dove hunting. Stick him out in the middle of a field by himself. I know it wasn't funny when it happened, but it still cracked me up picturing it. regards,Jay GentryShotgunworld.com Shotgunworld.com

·
Registered
263 Posts
OHH yea Jay add to HYPER active bird dogs (which i can't stand) and one lab (i loooooove them to death). I was about ready to kill my dentist. I have since changed dentists so he still has a reason to shoot me!! It scared the H*ll out of me when it happend cause i dont' hunt with ear plugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts