Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen this topic on here but I havn't seen any info on who to get to do the restoration.
My dad gave me an old,sxs,Ithaca.It's in pretty bad shape.Still shootable,just looks like hell.
Names and any other info on restorers(not backyard gun smiths) would be appreciated.
Thanks.
GTM1
(Glen)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Web sites??Anything?
GTM1

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
If you want to "restore" the gun (reblue the steel & refinish the stock) it should be because you want to do it. If you plan on keeping it forever, and passing it on to another generation, and the value is sentimental, then go ahead.

Be aware, however, that refinishing changes the classification of the gun from "collectible" to "shooter", and should you ever decide to sell it, it's worth less than if it's in original condition (unless original condition is so poor that the gun's value is nil)

G

·
Old Ithacas, if not too far gone, are surely worthy of restoration. Step one is to determine which model you have. This can normally be found by checking the serial number. From there, a decision can be made comparing the value of the gun to the cost of restoration.

I have no idea of your skills or capabilities but old, uncracked Ithacas make great shooters and fun project guns. Do it yourself and enjoy.

'Lonzo

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most likely it's going to need more than just bluing.
For what it may cost to have it restored I could no doubt buy a nice sxs.However there would be no history.
I would like to keep the gun and still shoot it and have it looking good.
GTM1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts