Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've saw a lot on here about needing certain strippers to strip a stock, so I wanted to ask what would be needed for a '70 Model 94? These Michigan elements have taken a toll on it.. There are also some black splotches that are touching the butt plate. I think I remember somewhere it's caused by the wrong type of oils getting in there or something? Can this be fixed?

I was also wondering if there's anything that can help the blueing? The blueing on the reciever looks pretty good, but it seems to me the barrel looks a lot lighter.

Is it really that difficult to refinish the stock of a gun? I'm only 15, but it sounds like it's pretty simple.. stripper, fine steel wool, watch edges, no checkering, then rub the finish in.. Is that the jist of it?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Arin,

Yours sounds like a good project. Go to the Yildiz forum on this website and find Tankerdog's refinishing instructions. There are even a couple of pictures of what he's done to an IZH and a Yildiz.

I've seen and shot both and can vouch for the quality of the instructions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that thread helped alot. But, I'm still wondering about people saying that you need certain strippers for certain woods. What's on an M94?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Arin,
That stock should not give you any trouble using ordinary paint strippers. Rebluing, however, is another story. The receiver and barrels probably were a slightly different color from the factory. The post '64' 94's were made with a receiver made of an alloy that is in ,general, very tough to blue. In spots that you see wear on the receiver, you probably see a purplish color, don't you? This is due to a hot tank blue on that alloy. I had a friend with this problem on a m94 he inherited from his Grandfather, and solved it by rust blueing the whole thing. Came out quite nicely, although it looks like it's a somewhat older gun now.
Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. My receiver is in pretty good condition, except for a few edges on the button that have lost all the blueing, which i'm not worrying about. I was msotly just wondering about the difference between barrel and receiver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts