Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I'll be retiring my DeHaan. It can't handle the recoil generated from 3 inch Kent Fasteel. It doesn't like to eject the empty and also quits after firing one shot. Mark has had it back twice this year and it does like trap loads.

Had to buy a used Browning Maxus for duck hunting.

·
Registered
23,202 Posts
The Maxus is a fantastic gun, the recoil will be less, plus you get an extra shot with the Maxus :!: :!: :!: :!: Use the Dehaan for SC.

cdb

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I'm surprised your doctor hasn't had you back 2 times to fix your shoulder. :lol: Semi auto with a plastic stock handles water and recoil much better with heavy loads. Shooting a break open gun and lots of heavy loads also leads to massive flinching, IMHO.

But not as bad as what happens when somebody is using a light weight field SxS designed to shoot light loads upland hunting and have the stock break at the wrist shooting heavy loads.

I think you will like your new gun.

·
Registered
23,202 Posts
billwnr said:
The recoil of a 3" Kent Fasteel in either the fast 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 load in the DeHaan definitely lets you know you are duck hunting.
Hunting is supposed to be enjoyable, not painful, that Maxus will tame a lot of that recoil, you will be loving it.

cdb

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
leftieD said:
I'm surprised your doctor hasn't had you back 2 times to fix your shoulder. :lol: Semi auto with a plastic stock handles water and recoil much better with heavy loads. Shooting a break open gun and lots of heavy loads also leads to massive flinching, IMHO.

But not as bad as what happens when somebody is using a light weight field SxS designed to shoot light loads upland hunting and have the stock break at the wrist shooting heavy loads.

I don't fl-fl-fl-flinch any more than usual.

I didn't want to take the Upland Ultralight out with the Kent steel as I thought it would break the stock. Also wasn't looking forward to shooting my 12 gauge Bobwhite for ducks.

Bill

·
Registered
18,787 Posts
billwnr said:
leftieD said:

I don't fl-fl-fl-flinch any more than usual.

I didn't want to take the Upland Ultralight out with the Kent steel as I thought it would break the stock. Also wasn't looking forward to shooting my 12 gauge Bobwhite for ducks.

Bill
Bill....I once had a 12 gauge 6 1/2 pound Yildiz. Went Turkey hunting with it with 3 inch loads. OUCH! I'm a SxS DT kind of guy but heavy waterfowl loads were just plain made for semi-autos.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was one good suggestion here of using the DeHaan for Sporting Clays. I shot a lot of skeet this summer but haven't made it out to 5 Stand yet. I think 5 stand is actually cheaper than Skeet as it gets me to burn up 2 boxes of ammo at one round of 5 Stand. Skeet would take me two rounds to run thru 2 boxes of ammo.

We do have some shooters that get thru one round of 5 Stand with less than 30 shells. :shock: I think there is some payola going to the scorer.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
67galaxie said:
2 3/4 kill just fine too if ya ever decide to take her out again
Most of the 2 3/4 inch steel shot loads don't have the 40 yard velocity/energy needed to kill ducks. That's why I switched to the fast 3 inchers.

It doesn't matter much now as we're froze up and the ponds I hunted are solid. As far as I'm concerned the 5 stand range is froze up also.......brrrr. Wind chill is below zero this morning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.