Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the skeet range last weekend. I saw a member with a bag picking up wads out in the impact area. He said that he cut his cost by recycling wads in his reloads. His process including washing and drying.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Premium Member
9,142 Posts
"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid"

At 2 cents a piece, how much are you saving?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I've heard of it. But would never do it.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
There's frugal, and there's CHEAP, but that is over the top

·
Registered
22,720 Posts
I agree with dogchaser37, I pay <.02 for each wad, the time to pick them up, wash them, dry them. Seems like a waste of time to me.

cdb

·
Registered
877 Posts
Well, I do know a guy who recycles used wads. He only uses ones with good gas seals and not very crumpled crush section.
WHY ??? I have NO idea except he says "I can and it works, so why not?" ?

Its not a money thing and he has plenty of wads....He just wants to reuse them and who am I to say NO ????

He has been doing this for many years and I never heard a bad sounding load.

Some people pick up pennies off the ground, Me...They are way too far from my hands to pick up without bending over...!!!
Maybe he "went green" before any of us did? or maybe he is just crazy...I have no idea. :wink:

Don2

·
Registered
877 Posts
dickn52 said:
Kinda like alcohol free beer....why? How much can a guy save doing this vs the labor involved?
The labor could be subjective?
The guy I know is retired Army and is always looking for something to stay busy....He was a Drill Instructor, maybe that explains it?
Like policing the grounds????

Don2

·
Registered
380 Posts
If he was a Drill Sergeant he will probably police the grounds til they take him to the old soldiers home. When I pick them up it's because they are cluttering my range and then they go to the county recycyling shed.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Years ago now I knew a couple of trap shooters that were known to reload used wads. They said that they worked fine. One time I got a couple of cases of Windjamer wads that were defective, they were harder plastic than they should of been. When I contacted the manufacturer they replied that the plastic resin that they used was incorrect as it did not have the right amount of plasizer in it and the wad would get hard in a short time. They sent me replacement cases of wads and did not want the hard wads back. I gave the wads to those two guys and they shot them! However some of their reports were a little funny shounding due to the gas seals on the hard wads not doing a good job of sealing. They liked them because they were free!

Now I will tell you up front that I like free/cheap componets just as much as anyone else, but I currently pay less than 1.4 cents each for the wads I use and I don't think that the savings are worth the trouble of trying to reuse wads. I have been giving thought to making my own shot though, I have access to cheap lead, so with shot being the most expensive part of reloading I am sure it is just a mater of time before I will be making shot.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Burnt Powder said:
Ya, I've been known to pick up a few AAHS 28 ga wads and reuse them a time or two too. So what?

BP
I see NOTHING wrong with reusing some wads.....
Especially if you know what you are doing...Like you..!

WARNING:
( Hijacked Thread Political Statement Ahead )

It may not be long, with our current state of affairs in this country that we all will be looking for a way to save money. My state has been RIF-ing teachers left and right. My wife was RIFed along with many more because of lack of funds by the state. And THATS why they said they voted in GAMBLING to pay for education in our state...!!!!! Lie....Lie...Lie..!!!
Who'd A Thunk It...??? :roll:

Thank You
You may all be seated now.

Don2

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
This reminds me of the guy who picked up lost golf balls that had been at the bottom of the lake for the last 10 years.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm cheap but not cheap enough to reuse wads. however if someone wants to recycle wads, who am i to badmouth them.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
casonet said:
This reminds me of the guy who picked up lost golf balls that had been at the bottom of the lake for the last 10 years.
I know a guy who turned used scuba gear into a high paying business...picking up golf balls on the bottom of lakes...now he has his own lake house!

I hear this is very common on the African bird hunts...pick 'em up and reuse them.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
We recycled wads at our club - they got used to help add some stabilization to the dirt entrance road like you would gravel - eventually they got ground down and helped a little....................getting a shooter/paving contractor to do the road turned out to be the best way though

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Just when you thought you were doing everything you could to save on the cost of ammunition, up jumps this thread.

Can't wait to go to the range and see what the wads look like. What the heck, if they are usable then it makes as much sense at picking up hulls.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.