Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Anyone here a right handed shooter but left eye dominant? Welp, I am. And I’m struggling with being consistent when mounting to my gun and leading clays. It’s causing me to have unnecessary missed shots.
Anyone have any tips or tricks to combat this?
Some have suggested switching to shoot left handed, but that’s not happening LOL

· Registered
8,428 Posts
Get a dot for your shooting glasses to occlude your dominant eye is easiest, winking down is another similar option, either also impairs stereo vision at trigger which is a negative. Another option is to retrain your dominance via the three-bullet or "clock-face" drill -- this takes time and effort and potentially a lot of both, but hey, you now have winter off. Your non-option of learning to shoot left-handed -- this takes time and effort and usually requires a stock retrofit expense, but is probably the most permanent long-term solution.

· Registered
923 Posts
Low gun or cheater mount with both eyes open. Track the bird with the tip of your nose and pull the trigger when the stock hits your cheek. Minimizes the occlusion and once you get your swing speed down, as easy as merging onto the highway.

As mentioned by Jack, Gill Ash's 3 shell drill is a worthwhile training exercise. Flashlight drill tracking crown molding is another.

Consistent mount (gun to shoulder and face to comb) is essential and not related to eye dominance. Practice in front of a full length mirror. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Combine mounting with the 3-shell and/or flashlight drill to bring everything together.

· Registered
15,066 Posts
Dot--I have used one since 2004. Been M class since 2005.

· Registered
122 Posts
This semi transparent dot on the left lens works very nicely for me. I don’t even notice it in normal vision, it only comes into play when I lower my head slightly to meet the gun.
Switching to lefty shooting was never an option for me. I’m hopeless with my left - if I had to eat with my left hand I’d starve.
this is the Magic Dot product, but any sort of tape will do.
Glasses Vision care Goggles Sunglasses Eye glass accessory

· Registered
1,100 Posts
Anyone here a right handed shooter but left eye dominant? Welp, I am. And I’m struggling with being consistent when mounting to my gun and leading clays. It’s causing me to have unnecessary missed shots.
Anyone have any tips or tricks to combat this?
Some have suggested switching to shoot left handed, but that’s not happening LOL
I struggle with this as well. Tape on the glasses is not for me. I am finally having some success dealing with this issue by using a sight blocker. I may not ever hit 100 out of 100 on the sporting clays course, but I hit more than half and improving

I shoot low gun mostly now. Keep the barrel up when in the low position. then bring it up while moving and pull the trigger. I do not ride the target. I never give the off eye a chance to take over

Cyclops Over & Under - James Keyser Products

Its cheap to try. I have gotten more consistent. This works 80% of the time for me now.

I tried shooting left handed a couple times, but boy... that is a hard change.

Reactions: $hotgunFever

· Registered
829 Posts
This has been discussed ad nauseam here, use the search.

I kicked the dot/tape/squint a year ago after shooting with it for 15+ years. It is not easy. The tape will be a quicker way to good scores imo. But you will plateau and then what? I'm not a master class clay shooter. I enjoy shooting live birds and i find I'm more successful since switching to 2 eyes.

· Registered
43 Posts
I am left eye dominate and shoot RH, I also have a small dot on my shooting glasses. I have made an oval shaped dot about 3/8" wide and 1/4" high. All it does is blur the front site on my barrel and the only problem I have had is a high overhead incoming target if I don't raise my head up to follow the target and look over the dot I will see two targets. It's small enough that I don't notice it even when I am bird hunting.

· Registered
15,066 Posts
The question is how long do you want to bash your head against the wall , or are you willing to try something different. The Dot as pictured was by savior. Today , 20 yrs layer I can shoot about 70% of my best w/ two eyes open or I can shoot what I ought to shoot w/ a Dot. That's an easy call for me.

Reactions: Notch15

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This semi transparent dot on the left lens works very nicely for me. I don’t even notice it in normal vision, it only comes into play when I lower my head slightly to meet the gun.
Switching to lefty shooting was never an option for me. I’m hopeless with my left - if I had to eat with my left hand I’d starve.
this is the Magic Dot product, but any sort of tape will do.
View attachment 64051
Same here, anything on the left I’m hopeless. Thanks for the info!

· Registered
15,066 Posts
You'll never know what works til someone tries it.

· Registered
19 Posts
So interesting thread here that has been debated for decades. I too am right handed and left eye dominant. I primarily shoot sporting clays With 5% trap. I’ve tried tape, magic dots, both eyes open, cardboard ….you name it over the left eye. Had an instructor early days who tried like hell to get me to switch to lefty claiming my “proper eye was now over the rib”. Felt very uncoordinated. So I reverted to my right side, start with both eyes open and once the target is acquired, I shut my left eye and the right takes over. Been doing that for year with mediocre success (shoot low/mid 70’s out of 100). Today I bumped into a pistol instructor I am taking lessons from at the sporting clays course. He encouraged me to try lefty again. Since it was for shi$$ and giggles and alone time practice , I tried. To my surprise, I Got way better results than I did years ago. Not sure if it’s because I know the mechanics,stance, timing etc of shooting clays better now, but it has me thinking again. So here’s my question…… how many guys have a cross eye dominance issue, make the switch, never really get better, and reverse back to shooting with you dominant eye occluded or shut? Thx

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So interesting thread here that has been debated for decades. I too am right handed and left eye dominant. I primarily shoot sporting clays With 5% trap. I’ve tried tape, magic dots, both eyes open, cardboard ….you name it over the left eye. Had an instructor early days who tried like hell to get me to switch to lefty claiming my “proper eye was now over the rib”. Felt very uncoordinated. So I reverted to my right side, start with both eyes open and once the target is acquired, I shut my left eye and the right takes over. Been doing that for year with mediocre success (shoot low/mid 70’s out of 100). Today I bumped into a pistol instructor I am taking lessons from at the sporting clays course. He encouraged me to try lefty again. Since it was for shi$$ and giggles and alone time practice , I tried. To my surprise, I Got way better results than I did years ago. Not sure if it’s because I know the mechanics,stance, timing etc of shooting clays better now, but it has me thinking again. So here’s my question…… how many guys have a cross eye dominance issue, make the switch, never really get better, and reverse back to shooting with you dominant eye occluded or shut? Thx
I ended up going with a flip down patch. I like the ability to flip it up and out of the way while on the move from station to station or seeing a visual pair. Once I’m ready to shoot I flip the patch down and go about my pre-shot routine. I’ll add the link below.
I used it for the first time a few weeks ago at a registered shoot. 2 - 100 target events.
The first half of the of the initial 100 targets were atrocious. But I knew in my mind I was adjusting to a major change in my shooting repertoire. The last half of the inital 100 I really started to reel it in and was obliterating targets.
The 2nd round of 100 targets (different shooting position and traps) I improved by 31 targets.
I’m not saying it will work for everyone because we are all different and certain corrections work for some not all. But since that tournament I’m hitting at least 25% or more of the targets I’m seeing. My scores are in the 80s out of 100 now.
International Standard Shooting Glasses Patch Link: Eye Mask Archery Aim Assistance https://a.co/d/1Bh9Com

· Registered
277 Posts
Different problem but it has some similarities with the issue. Originally I was r/h right eyed dominant shooter who made it to M class and even broke 100 straight at a ProAm event. Then I lost all central vision in the right eye and retain only partial peripheral vision. Essentially legally blind and if I try to focus on an object, close my good left eye, the object disappears immediately. So I’m now shooting from the left side after having my guns restocked and eventually made it back to M class but not nearly as competitive as I was with both eyes. The point is, I either had to quit shooting or switch to the left side. Whe I first started I couldn’t even open the o/u without doing from the right and then switching to the the after loading it. So I started doing everything I could with my left hand, ie brushing my teeth, eating, throwing things, writing my name, buttoning my shirts, you name it. And of course practicing opening and mounting the gun. Eventually my mind became conditioned to being left handed and the results were worth the effort. My only noticeable issue is depth perception. My point, you can switch if you are willing to put in the time and not get discouraged by regressing initially to a place you may find difficult to enjoy. Big if you want to maximize your potential, you can make the switch and not have to use alternatives that artificially block your total visual ability. Good luck in any event.

· Registered
52 Posts
Howdy,
Eye dominance only matters in an aiming sport!

It’s hard to believe but all you need to do is move with target(connection is made) and shoot.

I as well am very left eye dominate and right handed. I am only effected when aiming. I have told people before if I had 3 eyes I would want to use all 3 100 % of the time, never occlude your vision shoot’n sporting. Any time you do AIM you will shoot best with the correct eye over barrel. However POINTING is done with all the eyes and vision you have going for you available, and your best scores will come this way.
This is easily proven in person, you can cover my right eye and I can still shoot most targets with just my left eye right handed all be it is much easier with both open for depth perception. Another way to demonstrate is to shoot targets with a gun not fully mounted or a borrowed gun(yours)that doesn’t come close to “fitting” which is also way over rated.
This is a pointing game. You have to feel the target in to your gun. Just watch the fastest quick draw pistol people shoot. They never have an issue with dominance. You shouldn’t either unless you measure or aim while riding a target. Correctly done it is much easier than folks make it out to be. Look me up at a sporting shoot I would be glad to show you how. I think you could get good enough to win most anything pointing a broom stick or 2x4 too!
Bayne

· Registered
2,174 Posts
I as well am very left eye dominate and right handed. I am only effected when aiming.
Great post! I can take any R-handed, L-eye dominant newbie and teach them to be very good shooting R-handed, both eyes always open and on the target. It took me a while to learn how to do it but it is actually very simple once you know how.

But give me someone who has burned in the habit of measuring (aiming) for a few years and I cannot help them because they just cannot make themselves quit it. It can be done, but I don't have the time or the patience to watch.

As Will Fennel says, "it cripples more people than polio."

· Registered
829 Posts
Great post! I can take any R-handed, L-eye dominant newbie and teach them to be very good shooting R-handed, both eyes always open and on the target. It took me a while to learn how to do it but it is actually very simple once you know how.

But give me someone who has burned in the habit of measuring (aiming) for a few years and I cannot help them because they just cannot make themselves quit it. It can be done, but I don't have the time or the patience to watch.

As Will Fennel says, "it cripples more people than polio."
All true. I struggle with it, only on the days I'm holding a shotgun though ;)

1 - 20 of 157 Posts