Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 391 Urika that I have been enjoying for a while now. I was wondering if anyone makes a rifled barrel for this shotgun. I would like to use it for deer hunting. (They don't allow rifles at the military post where I plan to hunt.) Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hastings DOES NOT make a rifled barrel for the 391

hasting only makes barrels for the A-302, A-303, and the A390

none of those are interchangeable with the 391

you would need to get one custom made, or just use rifled slugs

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Can I purchase a rifled barrel for my Beretta shotgun?

Beretta does not currently offer a rifled barrel for the 390/391 series of shotguns. Beretta does offer a fully rifled ES100 Rifled Slug shotgun. Refer to the Beretta U.S.A. Corp. world-wide catalog for further information.

This is from the Beretta Website FAQ!!

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
As Berettaguy suggested, you can use rifled slugs in your smoothbore barrel. They are actually pretty accurate out to about 65-75 yards, depending on how well you can hold the gun steady and squeeeeeeeeeze off a shot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. I guess I was expecting that given the popularity of the 391 someone would make a rifled barrel for it...

How acurate are rifled slugs? What choke would I use?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I you install the removeable Tru-Glo sites with Windage adustment on them and get some decent slugs (Remington Premier or Winchester Supreme), shoot an improved choke, I don't think it's out of the relm of possibility to get where you can put 9" groups together at 75 yards.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
9" groups? That doesn't inspire me with confidence.... I've heard 3-4" groups with a rifled barrel. Is that true, or was the guy BSing me? 'Course, it doesn't really matter, I suppose, if a rifled barrel isn't an option.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
RC,
9" is about the size of the vitals of a whitetail, somewhere between 9 and 12" depending on who you talk to. If you get to where you can put 3 shot consecutively out of a number of shooting positions in a 9" paper plate at 75 - 100 yards that's pretty damn good for a shotgun launching a big non-aerodynamic chunk o' lead.

Lots and Lots of deer are taken every year with smoothebores and foster slugs. Take a crack at it and who knows maybe the sights and gun fit you so well you can get it to 5" groups.

·
Registered
285 Posts
3" or 4" at 100 yards seems pretty tight to me, I've heard the general guideling of a dinner plate (9" or so) at 100 yards. If you need to get it smaller, get closer!

If they won't allow rifles, chances are they will be fairly close (less than 100 yards) shots.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I'll pick up a box next week and give it a try. I'm new to shot guns (hunting too!) So I guess I just didn't know what to expect. I've always enjoyed target shooting - both rifle and pistol, and a fair shot. A friend took me dove hunting last year and even though I only got one (out of about 15 - 18 shots!) I enjoyed it so much I went out and bought a used 391. I have been shooting clays mostly since. I guess I'm learning, I hit about 3/5 and on a good day 4/5. Now my friend wants to take me deer hunting. (we went once last season - never even saw anything, but it was late in the season so maybe we'll have better luck this year)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.