Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
If you are thinking of putting one on your grandfathers, built in 1916 as in a previous post, I wouldn't do it. The gun was not designed for modern day slugs, although it is a very strong action.
Anyway I don't think I have ever seen one for sale.
There is such a thing as a rifled choke tube though, but I am not recommending it. Is the old one full choke?
If the stock is not cracked now it certainly will be after slug #1 or any heavy loads.
Use only loads heavy enough to cycle the action, and you could likely get several thousand shots with the gun.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim. Do you or anyone else think it would be OK to shoot 1 1/8 oz loads traveling around 1250 fps in the 1916 model 11. I would love to use it for dove hunting. What would be the danger zone as far as heavy loads to avoid in the old gun. It's cylinder bore. Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a couple of these, I shoot a 1927 M11 D grade at the trap range with factory 1 oz & 1 1/8 oz shells regularly with no problems. Love the gun, my dad had one when I was a kid, (not his that I have, my brother in law has it and won't give it up) so I decided to get one of my own.

Make sure you have the friction rings set properly for the loads you are shooting.

I have another barrel that has been modified for screw in chokes and it came with a rifled choke tube, but I have never shot it slugs through it.

If you are interested in that barrel, PM me, it has not been used in a while and I am cleaning out the gun safe.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
I have a number of older M11s. Two of these have had 1000s of rounds through them. Just set the rings correctly and shoot on.

I would not press that gun into slugs if it has a full choked barrel and I would not feed it a diet of short magnums (1 1/2oz). Accuracy probably would be poor with a full choked barrel shooting slugs.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Try the 1 1/8 oz with the rings set at the heavy setting. If it doesn't cycle, set the rings for light loads. I think 1 1/8 would be fine.
My 11 likes my reloads 1 oz @ 1150 fps. The Rem 1 oz. game loads fling the shells too far on my light setting. I did not try at the heavy setting. It also would not cycle my 7/8 oz loads on the light setting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.