Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! I am new to this forum and I just got my first shotgun. It is a Mossberg 500 that my uncle sold me with a a smooth and a slug barrel for real cheap. A quick question though. The barrel says it is a Slugster which I believe is a fully rifled barrel. I was curious about the reason I can't see the rifling. How tall are they? Are the lands visible on a rifle???... never seen the barrel....I just assumed they would be visible.

Also, is the general rule, rifled slugs through a smoothbore and sabots through a rifled barrel??? Thanks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
How old is the slugster you got? If it is a newer model, then the rifled lands would be clearly visible and evident as a shallow spiral "twist" inside the barrel. If it is older, it could be a smoothbore barrel with sights but without any rifling. You could also ask your uncle about it and if that does not get you the info you need, contact Mossberg (info on their website) and they should be able to help you out if you provide the serial number

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
The rifling should be easy to see if it is rifled. If nothing else I know Mossberg sells after market barrels quite reasonably at Wally World

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Slugster doesn't mean it's rifled. I have an older 500 combo with an 18.5 inch "Slugster" barrel and it's smooth bore. It just doesn't have a choke, is shorter, and has rifle sights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts