Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a rifled barrel for my 12 ga 870 Express SM and have a few questions . Opinions welcome.

1. Is there a performance dirrerence between barrel lengths? Remingtons are typ 20 in. and aftermarkets grow from there with 24 being the standard.

2. Is barrel porting recommended?

3. Anyone tried some of the barrel/scope combs available? Preference/why

4. Mossburg barrels on a Remington? :shock:

Thanks in advance, Dan

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
1. 24" barrels will give you a little more muzzle velocity.

2. No.

3. Avoid combos. The scopes that come with them are usually crap. Get a Leupold, Nikon, Burris, or other quality brand. Preferably a fixed power scope for better durability, but if you must have a variable, go no higher than 5X.

4. Sure, as long as they are designed to go on a Remington.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Agree about the combos but I ran across an internet deal that offers Mossburg 24" barrels made for remingtons 870 with a scope/mounts for 169.00. Figured for that price, I could upgrade the scope and still come out ok (Bushnell Banner 3-9X32 scope with Multi-X Reticle and Fast-Focus Eyepiece)

Are the mossburg barrels a quality piece? Wondering about inherent accuracy. It will do me no good if the barrel/receiver match prevents downrange accuracy.

·
Registered
11,097 Posts
Barrrel length does affect muzzle velocity. Even more important for accuracy, however, is a FIXED BARREL and a GOOD TRIGGER PULL!

I am a fan of Deerslayer II with the trigger stoned, or a Deerslayer III. Accuracy is superb in mine.

BobK

·
Registered
158 Posts
DooDad said:
Thanks for the reply. Agree about the combos but I ran across an internet deal that offers Mossburg 24" barrels made for remingtons 870 with a scope/mounts for 169.00. Figured for that price, I could upgrade the scope and still come out ok (Bushnell Banner 3-9X32 scope with Multi-X Reticle and Fast-Focus Eyepiece)

Are the mossburg barrels a quality piece? Wondering about inherent accuracy. It will do me no good if the barrel/receiver match prevents downrange accuracy.
I have the mossy barrel on one of our 870s and in all honesty it shoots like a dream. For the price its a no brainer IMO.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
The Mossberd barrel should be fine. The big problem with the Express model is the genreal poor quality of the trigger pull. Most are horrible and severely effect accuracy. Some are OK,however.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts