Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rifled choke tube for one of my smooth bores and was wonderning if this is sufficient enough to use with sabot slugs, i.e. would the choke impart enough of a spin on the sabot to improve accuracy over say, a rifled slug? I would like to be able to use my shotgun for deer but don't know if I should use a rifled slug or sabot with rifled choke insert.
Question #2: what slugs in either sabot or rifled slug works best for you guys? The gun will be a remington 870 3". Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
The rifled choke tube is designed for sabot slugs. As for what slugs to shoot, that will depend on you and your gun. I use Hastings slugs because they shoot well in my gun.
I recomend that you try different brands and see what your gun likes. :)

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
One of my best friends used to manufacture rifled choke tubes for a company, so, I have a couple of them. In my experience and testing, they do add a certain amout of stabilization or spin to a sabot. And of course some work better than others. I don't think I have used one that will compare to a fully rifled barrel though. I have had the best accuracy with Rem Copper Solids and Hornady slugs. Actually, with a little experimenting, I get pretty good accuracy with the Lee do it yourself slugs too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts