Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am going to push my luck and ask two dumb questions in a day! I have a Mossey 500 in 12 and one in 20, and was thinking of picking up a cantilever rifled slug barrel for whitetail hunting.... I am in S.E. PA and my area is special regs. so shotgun, muzzle loader, and archery are it.... (I do have a bow and a flint'er for hunting).

If I was to make the leap and set up one of these as a slug gun.... Which is better for deer the 12 or 20? I have heard both recommended but have heard that the 20 is the most accurate, while the 12 hits a bit harder.... most of my shooting will be between 50-75 yards.... but I hear these new fangled slugs and barrels make 100 yard hunting shots, (If I do my part!), the norm rather then the exception....

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Fred

P.S. Gunbroker seems to have the best prices for the cantilever barrels.... around $124.00 + shipping.... give or take.....Bass pro and Cabellas are quite a bit more.... is there a better place to look?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Come visit us down in the slug shooters forum. You'll learn alot. Personally you should go with a 20 gauge for deer. Yes some people will tell you 12 gauges are superior because its got more power. Its like saying you should use a 600 nitro over a .270 or 308. A 20 gauge has all the power you will ever need to kill deer. And because a 20 gauge has practically no recoil compared to a 12 gauge, you will be able to sight it in better, enjoy shooting it, and overall you will be way way more accurate. Go for a 20 gauge

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey SlugSniper! (great avitar by the way!)

Thanks for the reply, and DUH.... I didn't notice there was a slug shooters forum... I'll check it out!
There is a ton of good info on this site!
Thanks for the heads up!

Fred

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.