Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read where a lot of you folks hunt deer with a shotgun using slugs rather than a rifle. Here in Missouri, with the group I run with anyway, it's pretty much unheard of. So my question is, do you use a shotgun do to legal reasons or performance? And what is the effective range of a slug in a rifled shotgun? I was considering buying a rifle but may reconsider.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Where I'm from most shots on deer are within 100 yards. At that range most of the new 12 bore Rifles (notice I didn't use the term "shotguns") are more than accurate enough. The knock down power of a 12 bore slug is phenomnal!
In Michigan we have a southern "shotgun only" area and a northern area where rifles are permited. The reason is due to the greater population density in southern lower Michigan. A rifled 12 bore slug is pretty well spent as it sheds velocity pretty quickly after 200 yard or so.
If you hunt heavy brush and expect 60 to 100 yard shots it's hard to beat a 12 ga slug.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
A rifled slug (fired from a smoothbore gun) has an effective range of about 75 yards... depends on the shooter's ability, but could be stretched to 100 yards. A sabot, fired from a fully rifled barrel, has an effective range of about 150 yards. Again, depending on the ability of the shooter, it could be quite a bit more or quite a bit less.

For both rifled slugs and sabots, each gun will show a distinct preference for one or two brands - you should determine what brand your gun prefers before going hunting with it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the great info. I had no idea a smooth bore would go to 75yds and a rifled bore to 150yds. That is about the max range in the Missouri brush anyway. Do you either of you know if Remington makes a rifled barrel for the 1100 20ga?

One more thing...it sounds like the sabot round is fired from a rifled barrel and the rifled slugs are fired from a smooth bore...is this correct?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You've got it down...sabots for rifled barrels, rifled slugs for smoothbores. I live in TN, but I've just bought a rifled barrel for my 870 Express, mainly because I didn't want to spent money on a rifle that I would only use a few times a year. This way I feel like I'm getting more use and versatility out of my shotgun. Some people around here will probably think I'm crazy for not using a rifle, but I've always been the rebel :) .

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Remington and Hastings make fully rifled, cantilever scope mount barrels for the Remington 1100 or you could buy a new Remington Express Deer Gun or H&R Ultraslug Hunter for the same or less.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The above posts are accurate but I thought I'd add the following:
When I lived in Illinois, which is a shotgun state, I took 5 deer in a row with a 12 ga smoothbore* using rifled slugs out to about 50 yards. These were all 1 shot kills and the farthest a deer went after being hit was about 20 feet.
*Ithaca Model 37 "Deerslayer" with a 1.5 X 4 scope.
Jim

·
Registered
596 Posts
The above posts are accurate but I thought I'd add the following:
When I lived in Illinois, which is a shotgun state, I took 5 deer in a row with a 12 ga smoothbore* using rifled slugs out to about 50 yards. These were all 1 shot kills and the farthest a deer went after being hit was about 20 feet.
*Ithaca Model 37 "Deerslayer" with a 1.5 X 4 scope.
Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts