Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok iv seen a bit of slug talk in these forums latly and so i figured i would take the time to ask a question too :D

i have a 24 inch rifled barrel that i only shoot sabot style slugs from but i was wondering if there would be any difference in accuracy if i shot a rifled slug from the rifled barrel?

when i do use rifled slugs i always shoot em either from my 18.5 inch cylinder bore or my 28 inch accu-choke barrel with the improved cyclinder choke in it and never have shot them through my rifled barrel

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
If you shoot rifled slugs in your rifled barrel you will lead up the lands. The rifled slugs,also known as Foster type slugs,are designed for smooth bore barrels and gice generally poor results in a rifled barrel.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have been shooting the brenneke heavy field short magnums (foster style slug with plastic wad attached to the base)out of my rifled barrel with great success for several years now.the accuracy rivals sabot slugs(less than 4" 5 [email protected] yards) and the knock down power is tough to beat.I just brush the barrel out real good at the end of the season.according to brennekeusa website perfectly safe in rifled barrels.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok well il try it the next time i go shooting cuz when my n my friends shoot we never really have our ammo in boxes we all combine all our shells into a bag and theres always different types of slugs but luckily its easy to tell solid slugs from sabot slugs

lol it does get annoying tho having to always change the barrel when u run outta sabot slugs and have to switch to solids again :roll:

i think my next shooting outing im gonna start doing longer range slug shooting cuz i mostly just do 50 or 60 yards and i know that most sabot slugs from a rifled barrel can go 200 yards pretty accuratly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts