Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love shotguns but im kinda green when it comes to slugs.
I was arguing with a good friend of mine who insists that it is better to shoot rifled slugs through a rifled slug barrel opposed to sabots.He declared that the rifling on the slug matches the rifling in the barrel.Im no gunsmith but im pretty sure im right. Besides a huge difference in price, will it hurt the gun?Get better range or accuracy?I just think hes too cheap to buy sabots.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The odds against the rifling on the slug and the rifling in the barrel exactly matching and being perfectly aligned with each other when the hammer falls are massive. The scenerio is almost impossible --- he is mistaken on that point.

However, as long as he cleans the lead out of the barrel every 3 to 5 shots if he is using soft lead factory slugs it will work. Okay in the feild hunting because you shouldn't be taking more shots then that any way but a real pain in the neck at the target range.

If he uses hard cast lead slugs with lube then cleaning is much reduced.

More info on this particular scenerio here (clickable link):

Foster slugs in a rifled barrel?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Possible, yes, cheaper, yes, better NO.

I wouldn't call them "incredibly inaccurate" either. Some rifled slugs shoot better in my H&R than some people get with expensive sabots. They do foul the barrels out pretty quick though. You just have to keep the barrel clean is all.

I can get better accuracy out of a few sabot loads though, and the ballistics are better. Not to mention they perform better on game because of the better bullet designs. In my opinion anyway.

Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.