Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was someone who advertized in the SGN about 5 yrs ago who would cut shallow rifling in shotgun barrels for about $50 bucks.

I imagine the price would have gone up some since then and it's also possible that this man is no longer in business.

Does anyone know of anyone else who offers this service?

Also, any opinions on the usefulness of this modification? My understandig is tha rifling will enhance accuracy with saboted slugs but noit with forster-type "rifled" slugs.

I'd also like to find someone who who could install rifle sights on the barrel which is an old Win 1400 that was cut down to 20 inches and has no barrel rib.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I would think it might thin out the barrel walls a bit to much?
Fifty bucks for rifling barrel sure not much and do they reproof the barrel after rifling?
I would tend to go with a already rifled barrel myself, just think it would be safer?? :?

·
1,203 Posts
I seem to remember a fellow named Cain that offered this service. When his ads stopped some years ago, a friend told me that he had lost his business in a divorce settlement. Try Cation; they used to have a web sight and were doing rifling by electronic errosion.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
?!?
Was this spiral rifling to shoot slugs, or straight rifling for shot loads? Some people are of the opinion that shot loads with plastic wads will actually spin somewhat as they travel down a smoothbore, and this is detrimental to patterns. Shallow straight rifling supposedly prevents this. Hastings offers straight rifled replacement barrels for 870's, A-5's etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts