Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need serious help. I am new to shotguns. I realized after two weeks of trying to fit a gun, the problem lies here. I shoot right handed but my left eye is dominant. So what do I do.. get a lefty and learn to shoot and hold it? Or do I get a regular right handed gun and compensate? I am so frusterated I could scream.

Please advise!

Andy

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
do a word search on this site for "cross" and you'll see the volumes we've written on the subject. It is possilbe to train yourself to shoot left handed or to be right dominant. The one post I read that really caught my attention was about Tom Knapp (current godfather of the shooters circuit) having a hi-viz sight that can help this out. Here is a post courtesy of Tom Knapp from his website http://www.tomknapp.net

"Hey Kevin it's Tom Knapp

I use a very interesting fiber optic front sight that is designed (with a hollow tube) in front of the bead which helps the shooter in many ways. The most interesting aid of this feature is the fact that the shooter can keep both eye's open and see the bead only with the eye that is directly behind the sight. In other words, you can't cross over with your other eye. This sight works well for about 80% of the shooters with eye dominance problems.

The shooters that complain of eye dominance problems or even the shooters that have trouble with "seeing two barrels" or "two front sights", one of them being a ghostly image, can physically prepare their sighting techniques with an unloaded gun by simply focusing on a small object and then raise their gun into the mounted position (bringing the gun into their line of sight and matching the sight, target, and aiming eye, over and over again. When this gets boring, choose another object and continue until it gets really boring! Then, go to the skeet range and shoot 25 targets from station # 7. Then move to station # 6 for another 25. This helps you coordinate your two eyed shooting skills gradually and when you have had enough practice (with your eyes, not your shooting), the longer shots that require more forward lead will not seem as difficult. Also, on those longer shots, try to use the "Follow Through" forward lead method. This will help you track the targets path which in turn puts you in front as well as above or below the target if the flight path is not completely horizontal.

You can see these fiber optic sights in my Online Store and read more information on how (and what) I use these sights for by clicking this link:
https://tp-commerce.techpro.com/tomknap ... gories.asp

Tom Knapp

Remember, Think Safety First"

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hey aahagel,

I see you're brand new to shotguns, but in the few weeks that you've been shooting, how much clay shooting have you done?

The reason I ask is that I'm a left-eye dominant/right-hand shooter, too. When I first started, I was also worried about "cross-dominance". I figured I'd have to either shoot with one eye, or use a sticker on my glasses, or learn to shoot left handed, etc...

So in the end, what fancy trick did I use to solve the cross-dominance problem? Absolutely nothing. :D By which I mean, I just shoot with both eyes open, right-handed, no stickers or other visual aids.

Now I do think that some people will have to use little tricks or methods to solve their cross-dominance problem, but my only point is that you should get out to the range and see how bad it is first before you get too frustrated :shock:

You may just find that after a few rounds, it's not as big a problem as you think. Besides, all the good shooters will tell you it's about focusing on the clay, not the sights. Once your mount is solid and natural, the gun will shoot to where your eyes are looking.

Again, I'm not saying that cross-dominance isn't a real problem, just that it varies in degrees from one person to another.

·
Registered
261 Posts
:) I am right handed, left eyed and I shoot left handed with no problem. I always buy a gun with a thumb safety instead of the triggerguard type. To me shooting left is just as natural as anything else I do. (It lets me point the gun with my dominant arm anyway.) It was fun in the Army trying to load the M1 right handed while havin the rifle in my left shoulder but I figured it out. I held the bolt with the little finger of my left hand and fed the clip down with my right. Instead of using my thumb to push the clip, I used the first three fingers of my right hand. It worked fine. There is nothing wrong with shooting left handed. Some people try to avoid it like the plague but I don't know why. If you hunt with someone, walk on their right so you can swing to your right and he can go to the left. Ain't nothing to it after you do it for over 50 years.

G

·
Thanks for your responses.. Last night I picked up a AL391 thinking I could set it up for Leftie and see what I like better. On my way home I realized a shell whizzing past my face is not a good thing!

Here are my choices.. I can exchange it for a leftie.. Not entirely impossible. It dosn't feel entirley horrible to shoulder it this way.. Second, I can keep the one I have and try the Uni-dot fiberoptic sight and see if that fixes the problem.. Maybe even wean myself off it someday...

I cannot squint my left eye at all so that isn't an option..

I hope to decide here soon.. I wish I didn't have to spend this much cash.. Mybe I should get a cheap used gun until I get it figured out??

A

G

·
Browning majic dots will solve your problem as they did with me.Go to Brownings website then goto shooting acc. then go to ear and eye protection. Click on the Browning majic dots[19mm].
Have fun shooting :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ooops, I re-read your post and I see you don't mention what you're using the shotgun for. I just assumed it was for clay shooting...

Can you tell us what you're going to be using it for mainly?

If I guessed right, and you are shooting clay sports with it - are you having a lot of trouble breaking the birds?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be shooting clays to get used to the gun then use it mostly for Upland, or waterfowl.. I have not fired the gun yet..

Andy

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ok, gotcha...

Well, I still think there's a good chance that the cross-dominance won't be as big a deal as you think (if you're lucky :D )

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello,
I've been shooting clays all summer and really I started last fall. I'm right handed-left eyed and its plagued me all summer too. I tried putting tape over my left eye on my glasses, but my "coach" thought that wasn't doing the trick.

A couple of the guys I shoot with asked me if I would shoot left handed. So I tried it. Granted, I borrowed a heavy gun, but I did break a few more birds than normal. I've been shooting left handed about 5 weeks now and each time I go I get more and more confortable.

G

·
Unfortunately I'm not shooting a left handed gun. Last night I used a Browning A5, and a Beretta 686 OU.

Shooting the auto was kinda weird, having the shells eject in front of me wasn't uncomfortable, for some reason I didn't hit many birds with that gun. As far as shooting the Browning, I liked it better, but my face is a little sore.

I'm looking for an OU gun for skeet that's left handed (if that's possible), I'd take any suggestions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been shooting left handed now. I am a lot more accurate and it is starting to feel very natural. Thanks for the advice..

A

·
Registered
261 Posts
:D I knew you could do it! After a while it will be as natural as any thing you do right handed. Good show! :!: :!:

·
Registered
9 Posts
aahagel said:
I need serious help. I am new to shotguns. I realized after two weeks of trying to fit a gun, the problem lies here. I shoot right handed but my left eye is dominant. So what do I do.. get a lefty and learn to shoot and hold it? Or do I get a regular right handed gun and compensate? I am so frusterated I could scream.

Please advise!

Depending on your age and how much you have shot would determine what you have to do. If you are young and havent shot much you should definately switch to the left shoulder and learn how to handle the gun and start shooting both eyes open until you get the feel for it. I switch about 10-20 kids a year to the left side with left dominate eyes and they all become excellent shots and thank me to death....:If you can't master this you can put a piece of tape over your left eyeglass which makes you use your right eye. You can also easily shut your left eye as well and thats what most of my students do...Next is to shoot both eyes open and learn to point instinctively at straightaways and learn to SWING through side targets quickly. But definately don't RIDE targets doing this method. Its just a quick look and BOOM...I have taught several hunters this method and they do just fine. Personally I don't like huge front sights on shotguns like those fiber optic models.. You won't see any of that at a state trapshoot I don't think...You should be looking mostly at the target and those things confuse me. Tom Knappp is very unusual and talented shotgun shooter but he is the only one of those pro's that uses the optic sight...
To correctly determine the dominate eye I use a single lens camera and tell the student to take a pic of me and they will put the camera to the dominate eye every time and they don't even know they were tested.....Hope this is of some benefit to you...

Andy

·
Registered
109 Posts
My brother has the same problem. Dont waste your money on magic dots. Tape works just as well.

·
Registered
24,583 Posts
or shoot with the left-eye closed - not the best, but it is doable....if you are fairly ambidextrous, shoot lefty; if you're so righty you can't switch, try the dot or close your eye

·
Registered
333 Posts
When I start hunting years ago with my right hand because I am right handed, I realized that I can't use my right hand because I don't see with my right eye, I actually see shadows; Therefore I decided to shoot with the left one. It is been 23 years since I hunt with my left hand. It was difficult at the beginning; everything starts hard and becomes easy. Now I don't know what the difference between left handed shotguns and the right ones. Is it only a matter of shape or design, probably not? Does it really matter? How?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts