Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a right handed shooter and have always found my weakest shot is the right to left crosser :cry: While dove shooting yesterday I found my weakness again on this shot as the dove were coming thru the grove about 20 ft high on a dead right to left crosser.Mind ya I did not miss all of these but it is my weakest shot. Is there something with the mechanics of a right handed shooter that makes this swing a little more difficult? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Usually this is "the" shot for a right handed shooter....I love it.In Argentina last summer, I probably made this shot 90% of the time and my %'s dropped when I attempted other angles.

You may be lifting your head to get a "better look" which is the thing I see most in experienced shooters.

·
Registered
601 Posts
One common problem with right-handed shooters on R -> L birds is that they keep their stance too closed. If your lead foot is pointing too far right of where you want to shoot the bird, then it can tend to make your swing slow down, resulting in a miss behind.

For sporting-clays, I'll generally have people point their foot towards the break point. In the field, I advocate taking a small step towards where you want to kill the bird. This will tend to open up your stance and allow a fuller range of motion with your swing.

Of course, without seeing you shoot, this may not be the problem at all... but it is a very common one with that kind of presentation.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
In the George Digweed video on right to left crossers it looks like he has you point your right foot close to where you want to break the bird and your left where you want to keep swinging to. Makes for an awkward starting stance but ends up being balanced in the break zone and beyond. They had a mini as a Right to left crosser on the tournament field yesterday at Ozark Shooters. Starting down the hill below the shooters feet to start with. It was paired with a standard off the tower on report. I missed the first one by being over it. Rode it too far and it was dropping when I pulled the trigger. I adjusted back to make the breakpoint about the midpoint of the flight and smashed the next four straight.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
If it's not your foot position as mentioned above, you may be mounting your gun too high. If the barrel obstructs your vision, you may lift you head off the stock (causing you to shoot over the bird) or your right/dominant eye may become obsured allowing your left eye to take the dominant role (causing you to shoot to the left).

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
These are all good responses but the first thing you need to do is verify your eye dominance. Get someone who knows how to do this then look at what else may be causing problems.

This should be one of the easiest of targets for a right hander.

Bob

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
gatormark:
It is pretty hard to diagnose the cause of your problem without watching you shoot. The advice you are getting is first rate, but limited as we cannot see you in action. Do check your eye dominance and gun fit.

The easyiest thing to try is to step toward the place you will deliver the shot and see if that helps. This may sound like heresy here, but the best way to work out the issue is on a skeet field at station 3, 4 or 5 with an experienced instructor or a very knowledgable shooter.

One reason that we are saying gun fit, and eye issues is that the right to left is generally easier for most right eye dominant shooters than the left to right.

Just remember that in baseball we step and throw and we step and hit. right? Well in the field we step and shoot. The exception is when our feet are mired in the boot sucking mud of a duck marsh or on a steep slope after quail.

Good luck,

·
Registered
42 Posts
Spencer and Sera have hit the mark IMHO.

Personal experience has shown, no, proven to me, that on the skeet field, as long as I keep my head on the stock, I will break this target everytime. The second I BARELY lifted my head, its a miss......

Regards,

CD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts