Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen recently shotshells available for handgun cartriges and .22 lr and .22 mag guns. My question is: has any one ever attempted to break clays with these? Do any of u guys know if it would be possible to do this?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Welcome to ShotgunWorld. You are invited to register and hang out with us as much as you like.It is possible if you have someone throw the clay at you and you wait until it just about hits your head.The pistol shot shells are very weak and provide little accuarcy. I have used them to rid a barn of rats and birds, but that was shots where I could have hit the suckers with a rock. At that distance there was no damage to the concrete. Consider that if you wanted the shot to hit the clay you would need a heavy enough shot to not get messed with by the wind and a light enough shot to make it that far. At that point your looking at a 7 maybe. If you look at that #7 shot shells for the 22 it only has 6 or so pellets in it. Six pellets traveling very slow, at a moving target, shot from a short rifled barrel, no choke, and fighting wind. Video your attempts so if you make a hit you can be on Fox News. Let the dog hunt the birds, ... you hunt the dog.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Years ago Mossberg made a 22 bolt action smooth bore that had 2 screw on barrel extensions (one rifled and the other for shooting 22 shotshells.It even had a clamp on thrower that would throw mini clays about 2" in diamiter.I never got to try the clays but it was great to shoot rats with !!

·
Registered
109 Posts
There were actually clay targets for .22 cal shotshells and a whole target throwing system in the past. I believe the name for this was MoSkeet. I was introduced to this at Boy Scout camp back around 1960. The targets were especially fragile and smaller than a standard clay. The shot size was #12 which, I believe, is still used in the .22's of today. It was a fun and relatively safe way of introducing youngsters to shooting at moving targets. Like most, I tried to rifle shoot 'em rather than pointing and shooting, so my scores of around 8/10 weren't too bad. That only happened because they were thrown to the same place and we stood basically to the left of the trap shooting pretty much straight away.If you shot quick you could occasionally smoke one, too. Maybe this is why I am such a clays nut still today:D !

G

·
These shells are just about useless for just about anything. My buddy had a Remington smoothbore that wouldn't kill a sparrow at 20 yards. I once shot an aluminum beverage can that I threw up by hand, and at about15 feet I hit it with 12 pellets. Most of them didn't even penetrate the can, and none went through both sides

·
Registered
330 Posts
Do any of you have problems ejecting the 22 shot cases ?.
A mate of mine used a few different brands and a lot did not eject, the ejector didnt grip them and they had to be removed with a rod.
on the subject of rimfire shotshells you can get 9 mm flobert (sp) ones too these are for a rimfire shotgun and not just a shot round for a rifle. I dont know if you can still get them tho, anyone fired these things ? .

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Yes I have a 9mm Flobert gun - for those who do not know this 'Garden Gun' the shells are brass and look like .38 special wadcutter rounds, but they hold about 90 bb's.

And YES I have broken clays with them. At Stand 7 on Skeet they needed about 5 feet of lead :p But they did break them. Hev never tried .22 snake shot.

While I lived in France, where they sell up to .45 in shotshell for "armes de defense" I saw people try to break clays, no-one succeeded.

These "armes de defense" look like the gun the imititate - say a .357 Colt Python, but they are smooth bore and have a bar down the centre of the barrel so they cannot fire a bullet, only bird shot. When I lived there you could carry these on your property only, but without a permit.

There now, a piece of shooting trivia for America's Birthday

Roger

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have seen some paper 9mm Flobert ammo made in Australia by ICI in about 1930-1940s (green, copper head, white with red overshot wad, ICI headstamp for the cartridge guys :D ).
I did see something about them still being made in Italy, I may go and get myself one of these guns :lol: .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.