Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and shot skeet with a friend on Sunday. We each shot alittle over 100 shells each. After we got done my right ear was kinda numb and had this ringing sensation. Well it's been right at 3 days since and the ringing is still in my right ear. I should have been wearing ear plugs but I just didn't think about it. Will the ringing stop? Has this ever happend to ya'll?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Dynasty said:
I went and shot skeet with a friend on Sunday. We each shot alittle over 100 shells each. After we got done my right ear was kinda numb and had this ringing sensation. Well it's been right at 3 days since and the ringing is still in my right ear. I should have been wearing ear plugs but I just didn't think about it. Will the ringing stop? Has this ever happend to ya'll?
That is alot of abuse for your ears to take. 200 shells fired, I have never shot that much w/o ear protection. When bird hunting onetime my right ear rang like crazy for a day. I was using my ported 12 ga. it went away but I only fired a few shots. Hopefully yours will go away but you can't be sure. Nextime please wear ear protection. If you don't have it with you most clubs sell them cheap.

Bryan

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
Welcome to tinnitus-land. The ringing will abate somewhat, but it will never go away.

Hearing damage is permanent (there are no medical means of reversing it without artificial aids) and cumulative (further exposure to more noise will make your loss even greater.

Hard way to learn the lesson of always wearing hearing protection, wasn't it?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
It is called "tinnitus" (ringing in the ears).

Use some type of ear protection whenever you shoot any firearm!

It 'may' go away - and it 'may' not! Some of us have had it for years!

·
Registered
305 Posts
As has been said, definately wear hearing protection whenever your shoot.

That being said, you can try an Over-The-Counter product called Ring-Stop or something of that nature, or visit your doctor and they can probably put you on a mild steroid for a few days to get it to stop, provided the damage is not too severe.

Let's hope you caught it early and can get it to stop.

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear this. I hope it goes away. I got tinnitus bad in my right ear with a single shot from a 444 Marlin pistol while deer hunting without hearing protection. I didn't recover, but I'm in my 40s. My doctor said your ears are more likley to recover the younger you are. I now wear game ears hearing protection when hunting with a pistol or large bore rifle, and always at the range.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Well, have you learned a valuable lesson. I hope you have.

Always wear hearing protection. Huh, what did you say. :roll:

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Dynasty said:
I'm 17, so hopefully they will recover.
I hope so as well, take it from a bunch of old farts that didn't know about hearing protection, and other than chunks of foam or toilet paper---weren't available. Please use something from now on, even if you are behind the firing line.

Though it may be hard for you at your age, we would appreciate you being the "rangemaster" of sorts and keep your friends from shooting without protection, that also goes 10-fold for eyewear, Most of us know someone that either lost an eye or lost most of the vision in one due to an errant broken target, or piece of shot. :cry:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What brand of shooting glasses would you recommend, and what kind of ear plugs and muffs woulld you recommend?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I always tell my guys:

"If your ears are ringing after Shooting (or any other loud noise exposure) that's a reminder that you just lost some hearing

It's true

:(

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I haven't noticed any hearing trouble or anything. Can't tell a difference. I just want the ringing to stop! Have any of ya'll had your ears ring for 3 days or more after shooting?

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Yep, mine did.

Rang for almost 2 weeks after shooting a Ruger .44 mag with a 5" barrel.

That was back in my younger days. I also suffered some hearing loss from it too.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
When I was 20-21 years old right ear gotta a blast one cold early morning duck hunting, I'm coming up to sixty-one on 12/3, still have trouble with that ear! :cry:
Nine or ninety not wearing hearing protection is just plain stupid!

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Dynasty said:
What brand of shooting glasses would you recommend, and what kind of ear plugs and muffs woulld you recommend?
Just get the foam type available anywhere, twist them up and insert, probably some of the best protection out there. Same with shooting glasses, if you don't need correction, any ANSI protective gear. Many sporting good stores have inexpensive colored lenses, I think less than $15 for 3 colors.

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
Dynasty said:
Well, I haven't noticed any hearing trouble or anything. Can't tell a difference. I just want the ringing to stop! Have any of ya'll had your ears ring for 3 days or more after shooting?
You won't notice the difference in hearing loss from just one time. But keep at it and you will.

It takes weeks for the ringing to subside. Let that be a lesson.

I only use the foam plugs that insert in the ear. Muffs get in the way of both my rifle and shotgun stocks.

Foam plugs have to be inserted in a very specific way to be effective. Just rolling them up and stuffing them into the outer ear isn't going to cut it.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE PACKAGE AND FOLLOW THEM.

·
Premium Member
20,026 Posts
Yeah, I guess you could say I've had my ears ring for "3 days or more". They've been ringing for 40 years now and counting.........,but who's counting? :?

Use ear protection anytime that you have the choice. Unfortunately, I didn't have a choice.

Also use eye protection, not only when you shoot, but when you do almost anything....... driving nails, cutting wood, reloading, etc. ANY kind of safety glasses will do the job...... even the $4 glasses at Wal Mart will protect your eyes. Buy a dozen pair of the cheap glasses and put a pair everywhere..... in the car, garage, workshop, shooting bag, etc. That way, you will always have a pair available when you need them. However, you must put them on to do you any good. They don't protect anything sitting in the case.

Also buy about 100 pair of foam earplugs. Keep several pair everywhere. That way, you'll always have them available when you need them. You'll also have some extra for your friends who forgot to bring theirs.

Even though your ears are ringing now, it CAN get WORSE. So don't fail to use hearing protection in the future. Protect what hearing you have left.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Mine have rang since I was about 21. Now I'm 40. A box of .41 mag from a Blackhawk at a riverbank near Mt. McKinley while moose hunting.....never true silence......

1 - 20 of 45 Posts