Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new 28 gauge wingmaster and shot some today. Seems that the Rio target shells want to hang up some. Remington shells seemed fine. Has anyone else had problems with Rio's in a pump gun?

Toyman

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
Ran hundreds and hundreds through my Nova. No hang ups.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
The sticking problem with RIOs is not due to any particular type of gun. It's due to chamber size and due to the steel bases as well as the fact that they are high bases. Steel based shell expand more than brass based shells. In guns with chambers that are on the large side, the steel bases can stick. Some Remingtons, like Gun Clubs, also have steel bases and can also stick in some guns, but not as much as RIOs do. With the high base on a RIO, there's that much more purchase on the chamber wall. If your gun happened to have a chamber on the smaller side of acceptability, you would have no problem with RIOs. RIOs work fine in most of my guns, but get a little sticky in the bottom bbl of my doubles gun and stick really bad in a Ljutic I have.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Could be rough chamber wall too, not usually a problem with a Wingmaster but seems like it's common with the express.
Try polishing the chamber with some 4/0 steel wool wrapped around a bore brush using lots of oil with a high speed drill. 8)

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
SS said:
It's not due to a rough chamber. A rough chamber would actually cause less sticking than a polished chamber. It's chamber size and steel bases, nothing else.
:idea: So I guess when a buddy had the chamber of his 12 gauge Express buffed up to stop that exact problem he was wrong? I guess his gunsmith was wrong after all, even though it took care of the problem!
:B3

edit: Want something to grip: roughen the surface.
Want to slip/slide and all that: smooth the surface.
:arrow: At least that's way it was back in my machine shop days.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
:? Wouldn't a tighter chamber be apt to stick more with expansion of the shell base than one that is less tight?

SS wrote:
It's not due to a rough chamber. A rough chamber would actually cause less sticking than a polished chamber. It's chamber size and steel bases, nothing else.
I'd have to also say a chamber that is rough should by my way of thinking not be as nice to extract a shell than a smooth chamber. Not the other way around. My Cynergy is chrome lined and really smooth. Shells made of the cheapest materials fly out without a hitch.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
01lariat said:
:? Wouldn't a tighter chamber be apt to stick more with expansion of the shell base than one that is less tight?

SS wrote:
I'd have to also say a chamber that is rough should by my way of thinking not be as nice to extract a shell than a smooth chamber. Not the other way around. My Cynergy is chrome lined and really smooth. Shells made of the cheapest materials fly out without a hitch.
:idea: Yup, my way of thinking too! never heard of roughening up a surface to make it slick always smooth it down. A rough surface grips not the other way around? :roll:

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had a Winchester 20ga pump that would hang-up with
certain ammo (steel hull target shells) took advice from
someone on forum and polished chamber with steelwool
and power drill........no more problem! Chamber had built
up plastic crud. SS is alittle mixed up.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
It seems logical at first that a tighter chamber would contribute more to sticking than a larger chamber, but that is not the case. The tighter chamber restricts the over expansion of the steel base and that causes the cases NOT to stick. The more open or larger chamber contributes to the over expansion (and non elasticity) of steel bases, enhancing sticking. A rough chamber would have less bearing surface than a polished chamber, thereby causing less sticking. For those who are in doubt, simply measure your chamber size and you will see that those guns that are sticky have larger chambers than those that function well.

Yesterday at our club there was a guy shooting doubles with a Beretta 391. He was shooting RIOs and was getting a failure to eject because of over expansion (12ga). I measured his chamber and it measured .813. I measured the chamber of my 391 when I got home and that one is .808 and that one never hangs up with RIOs.

Steel bases, chamber sizes and sticky shells have been well documented on other sites such as trapshooters.com. Some of the best shotgun smiths in the country all say the same thing, smaller chambers work better than larger chambers. Some folks with hard heads and inexperienced gunsmiths have ground and polished the chamber so much that they end up having to have the gun rechambered - an expensive proposition. What I'm telling you people is correct and accurate beyond any shadow of a doubt. Do with this information as you see fit.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
SS said:
It seems logical at first that a tighter chamber would contribute more to sticking than a larger chamber, but that is not the case. The tighter chamber restricts the over expansion of the steel base and that causes the cases NOT to stick. The more open or larger chamber contributes to the over expansion (and non elasticity) of steel bases, enhancing sticking. A rough chamber would have less bearing surface than a polished chamber, thereby causing less sticking. For those who are in doubt, simply measure your chamber size and you will see that those guns that are sticky have larger chambers than those that function well.

Yesterday at our club there was a guy shooting doubles with a Beretta 391. He was shooting RIOs and was getting a failure to eject because of over expansion (12ga). I measured his chamber and it measured .813. I measured the chamber of my 391 when I got home and that one is .808 and that one never hangs up with RIOs.

Steel bases, chamber sizes and sticky shells have been well documented on other sites such as trapshooters.com. Some of the best shotgun smiths in the country all say the same thing, smaller chambers work better than larger chambers. Some folks with hard heads and inexperienced gunsmiths have ground and polished the chamber so much that they end up having to have the gun rechambered - an expensive proposition. What I'm telling you people is correct and accurate beyond any shadow of a doubt. Do with this information as you see fit.
:arrow: Nobody said anything about a tight chamber!
what was mentioned was a rough chamber.
Everything equal size wise, a smooth, slick chamber will be easier to cycle the one that's rough and gritty. 8)
Been there and done that. :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.