Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with roll crimping? I know it's labor-intensive, but I'm a low-volume reloader, mostly for hunting applications. I have a MEC 600Jr for 20 gauge (and a set of 28ga. dies) and have a devil-of-a-time getting good crimps with some hulls. Also, I have an old Stevens 520 pump in 16ga. that I believe has a 2 9/16-inch chamber, so I'd like to do some 2 1/2-inch for it. I'm thinking of the BPI roll crimping tool. Any advice or practical experience on this? Thanks. Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I have roll crimped 12 ga shells.This is a slow process but for a specialized load(low volume production) it has a place.I would contact BPI, go thru the catalog and talk with a rep to determine exactly what you need.www.ballisticproducts.com 1-888-273-5623=orders,1-763-494-9237=info and services. :wink: 8)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hey huntnshoot, be advised that you'll also have a devil of a time getting good roll crimps, if you're using hulls that were formerly fold crimped. Either use new hulls, or cut the fold crimp part off fired hulls.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I roll crimp (RTO) 12 and 28ga and it is a lot of fun. I laod hunting loads as weill as slugs.

The neet thing about it is you can get better loads with the same hulls and you can roll "shorty's". 12 ga 2" loads and 2.5" 28ga.

You can use your mec to drop the charges. You may also need a scale, I like the one from Cabelas. I also use a Drill press at about 300rpm I got from Harbour Freight.

IMHO the Heads from PR (Precision Reloading) are better than BP.

Your not going to save any money doing it, but like I said it is fun to do.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hoa, I had emailed BPI and got a response from them. They even sent me a PDF file explaining the procedure. I ordered a 20ga. roll-crimp tool, a hull cutter, a BPI loading manual, and some new Fioochi 20ga. hulls.

McKie, Thanks for the tip. BPI said the same thing. I also ordered a case-mouth reconditioning tool. I've never messed with the case mouth and this tool may help with my standard crimping problems, escpecially the Federal cases that give me fits.

21mtr, I have an RCBS scale I use for loading metallic. It's only a 505 though, so I may look into that Cabela's digital. I've seen it mentioned elsewhere on this forum. I have a drill press in my shop where I reload, so I'm good there. Thanks for the tip on PR crimpers. If this project works to my satisfaction, I'll get the 28ga. tool from PR (and they're $4 bucks cheaper!). I don't expect to save any money. I originally got into loading to make loads that weren't available in area stores, plus it gives me something to do off-season and at night. I have about 500 20ga. Federal Game load cases I'd like to utilize, but my sucess at a good crimp is only about two in three. With the roll-crimper and the case conditioner, I hope to rectify this problem.

Thanks guys, for the advice and tips. Good hunting and good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts